The Zoidlings

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Nighthawk
Space Squid

The Zoidlings

#1 Post by Nighthawk »

Edit by Geoff: This was in reply to this post but appears to be a separate race suggestion unrelated to that thread /Edit

Zoidlings
I'm kind of just making this as I go, but whatever
Executive Summary:
Humanoid Species without a desire or funding to expand beyond their home.

++Industrious, down to earth
+ Compassionate
- Little research

Biology: Standing Erect at around 2.5 Meters of height [8 feet for those of you (like me) who can't think in meters very well], they are humanoid species approximately at a level 3 on the development scale. They understand compassion, they do not engage in too much violence (although they are not a peaceful race). The time from childhood to adulthood is approximately 25 [human] years.

Technologies: They have mastered electronics, especially the computer, although their computers are rarely connected to networks. They have harnessed the power of nuclear technologies, but have never used it. They have never traveled beyond their home planet's orbit.

Personality: They are a very business oriented, and they are intelligent.

Homeworld: Terran, Medium G world. Mostly Carbon dioxide (900,000 parts per million) with a small amount of Methane (80,000 parts per million) and an even smaller amount of oxygen (18,00 Parts per Million). Two moons.

Reason for Staying: They don't invest in research, and no one is willing to fund them to expand.
Last edited by Nighthawk on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: 41

#2 Post by eleazar »

1) Just to be clear, my math-obsessed sky serpents were named with a number (fifty-seven) because it seemed to work with their personality. I don't generally expect species to be numbered instead of named.

2) A reason for staying on their home planet should be more robust. A player might annex their home planet and decide that their ++ to industry would be a good thing for other mineral rich planets in their empire. In that case "... no one is willing to fund them to expand." doesn't make much sense.

--It should be a reason why a player who wants to can't use them to colonized other planets.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

Re: 41

#3 Post by Nighthawk »

Yet another reason why I liked the way Moo3 handled natives. They could join your empire and travel around.

Perhaps they can't leave because they are afraid to. Or perhaps no species is interested in funding them.
Good question :p