Species Write-Ups

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
em3
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Species Write-Ups

#31 Post by em3 »

utilae wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Regardless of the original intent, if there's a letter in there that's not obviously silent (g before y), I'm going to pronounce it.

And regardless of the original intent, I don't see a way to pronounce "-saish" (seye-sh, say-sh, sah-ish, ?) that would be a sensible interpretation of "-sache".

Making things intentionally (and pointlessly?) hard to interpret is another form of vanity spelling and best avoided.
Ah the Gyisache. A species too timid to properly spell their name in a way that lends itself to galactic communication.
I always thought it's pronounced like in moustache.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#32 Post by MatGB »

I thought it closer to sack.

Short version: English is a stupid language ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#33 Post by em3 »

Well, moustache is more of a french word borrowed by english.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#34 Post by utilae »

I created the race, its name and the ponounciation and every time I read it, I read it as Jee-Yay-sh. Lol

(The original pronounciation was Yee-Saish).

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by MatGB »

See! English is a stupid language, there's no clear pronounciation for any particular spelling or letter combination, why the rest of the world persists in using it is beyond me, I'm stuck with it ;-)

Soft g never occured to me, at all. Gee-Sack is how I've always said it and I paly them a fair bit.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#36 Post by utilae »

MatGB wrote:See! English is a stupid language, there's no clear pronounciation for any particular spelling or letter combination, why the rest of the world persists in using it is beyond me, I'm stuck with it ;-)

Soft g never occured to me, at all. Gee-Sack is how I've always said it and I paly them a fair bit.

I better download this game so I can play them too :D