Remove 'Auto-generated effect descriptions'

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

adrian_broher
Programmer

Remove 'Auto-generated effect descriptions'

#1 Post by adrian_broher »

If there are no objections to it I would like to remove the 'Auto-generated effect descriptions'. To my knowledge the output always was subpar and by adding the optional 'description' parameter to an EffectsGroup a year ago (8359b308) content writers now can provide much better description texts. Removing this option would simplify some of the ValueRef code greatly and remove a good chunk of hard to extract translation keys.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Remove 'Auto-generated effect descriptions'

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Never really used that feature, so no opinion/preference on that one. Can go as far as I'm concerned.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I don't think the optional hand-written description text for effectsgroups is a replacement for the autogenerated descriptions, but I don't think that matters. Switching AutoGeneratedDescription to call ->Dump() instead of ->AutoGeneratedDescription() works at least as well for debugging purposes, which was one of the main reasons to keep the autogenerated descriptions last time it was discussed.

All the autogenerated descriptions for conditions and valuerefs needs to remain though, until all location and enqueue conditions have hand-written descriptions.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#4 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I don't think the optional hand-written description text for effectsgroups is a replacement for the autogenerated descriptions, but I don't think that matters. Switching AutoGeneratedDescription to call ->Dump() instead of ->AutoGeneratedDescription() works at least as well for debugging purposes, which was one of the main reasons to keep the autogenerated descriptions last time it was discussed.
I already forgot that PR. I will replace it with obj->Dump() calls then and adapt the related code and settings then.
Geoff the Medio wrote:All the autogenerated descriptions for conditions and valuerefs needs to remain though, until all location and enqueue conditions have hand-written descriptions.
I didn't see that. Well, have to start somewhere.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz