Fleet Management Window

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

Fleet Management Window

#1 Post by jbarcz1 »

I've committed my prototype for the fleet window. I've added FleetWindow.h/.cpp, and modified GalaxyMapScreen.cpp to create and display a fleet window upon construction. Let me know what y'all think of the layout. I'll post a screenshot shortly for those who dont feel like building the app.

The plan is to have a list of all fleets in a particular location in the top right, and all of the selected fleet's ships listed in the listbox on the left side of the screen. Clicking move will hide the window and send a message to the map screen to obtain a destination from the user (by having them click on it)

Merge means to transfer ships between two existing fleets, while split means to split ships off from the selected fleet and create a new one.
Both of these buttons will display another listbox, which allows the user to transfer ships between fleets by either dragging and dropping (does GG support this?) or by clicking buttons.

I'm having one GG related issue so far, which I need some help on. The 'done' and 'move' buttons are in the same position on the screen, but only one of them is visible at any given time. However, it appears that the last button added is not receiving the click signals when you click it (even though the first button is visible). I suspect this might be a GG bug, but it could also be I'm not hiding the button properly.
Empire Team Lead

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by jbarcz1 »

Here's the promised screenshot(s):
Empire Team Lead

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

Re: Fleet Management Window

#3 Post by tzlaine »

jbarcz1 wrote:I'm having one GG related issue so far, which I need some help on. The 'done' and 'move' buttons are in the same position on the screen, but only one of them is visible at any given time. However, it appears that the last button added is not receiving the click signals when you click it (even though the first button is visible). I suspect this might be a GG bug, but it could also be I'm not hiding the button properly.
This is a "feature", not a bug. An invisible window can still be clicked. If you want to accomplish the same thing, either rename the button from "done" to "move" (or vice versa) as needed, or move the inactive button outside the enclosing window, where clicks on it cannot reach it.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae »

@jbarcz1

So you have 'Fleets here', shows all fleets. I asume clicking on a fleet will display the 'Ships in fleet' window. 'Ships in other fleet' must have something to do with the move button. So you drag ships between them.

I like this.

An idea:
---------
Maybe you could do a ctrl click selection to select 3 fleets in the 'fleets here' window. Then it would display three columns below:
-fleet1, fleet2, fleet3

You could drag ships between these three columns.

The more fleets selected would make more columns, ie 5 columns. This would mean you would need a vertical scroll bar to scroll down a list of ship icons in each column. But there should probably be a limit on the number of fleets selectable at a time, so columns would not get too skinny.

jbarcz1
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by jbarcz1 »

utilae wrote:@jbarcz1

So you have 'Fleets here', shows all fleets. I asume clicking on a fleet will display the 'Ships in fleet' window. 'Ships in other fleet' must have something to do with the move button. So you drag ships between them.
It's for splitting and merging. When you split, you'll be dragging ships from the active fleet to a new one. When you merge, you'll be dragging ships from one fleet to another. The move button will hide the window and take you back onto the map to choose a destination for the fleet.

An idea:
---------
Maybe you could do a ctrl click selection to select 3 fleets in the 'fleets here' window. Then it would display three columns below:
-fleet1, fleet2, fleet3

You could drag ships between these three columns.

The more fleets selected would make more columns, ie 5 columns. This would mean you would need a vertical scroll bar to scroll down a list of ship icons in each column. But there should probably be a limit on the number of fleets selectable at a time, so columns would not get too skinny.
It depends on how much information we want to put into these ship lists. I've been aiming to keep the dialog small so we can have more than one onscreen, and we might not have enough window real-estate to do more than two or three columns.
Empire Team Lead