The Help Thread

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

Re: The Help Thread

#286 Post by General_Zaber »

It is a question, I want to find python26.dll. Where should I look? 'Cause I can't find it in my C:\\python26\ directory.

(I thought it was obvious... :oops: )

EDIT: I also tried looking for it in C:\\Windows\System32\ to no avail. I even did a search of my whole system and found nothing. Can somebody just put it here as an attachment because I think it wasn't installed.
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#287 Post by pd »

python26.dll 2MB - assuming you're using a 64bit windows, make sure to rename it to python25.dll and replace the original one.

It should have been in your python26 directory...

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

#288 Post by General_Zaber »

:D Will do, thanks for the link.
pd wrote:It should have been in your python26 directory...
Yeah I know, I googled it and it turns out Python 2.6 onwards has some bug that forgets to put in the .dll during installation :roll:
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

Dudely
Space Krill

#289 Post by Dudely »

I'm getting an error when I try to build.

I followed all the instructions (downloaded the source, installed tortoise SVN, updated everything, pointed it to my python folder) but when I try to build I get about 200 errors that say:

Cannot open program database file: 'd:\program files\freeorion_sdk\freeorion\msvc2008\freeorion\freeorionca\release\vc90.pdb': No such file or directory
or
cannot update program database 'd:\program files\freeorion_sdk\freeorion\msvc2008\freeorion\freeorionca\release\vc90.pdb'

I checked and the file is there.
I searched the forums but couldn't find much regarding problems with that file.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#290 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dudely wrote:...when I try to build I get about 200 errors that say:

Cannot open program database file: 'd:\program files\freeorion_sdk\freeorion\msvc2008\freeorion\freeorionca\release\vc90.pdb': No such file or directory
or
cannot update program database 'd:\program files\freeorion_sdk\freeorion\msvc2008\freeorion\freeorionca\release\vc90.pdb'
This isn't a FreeOrion-specific problem. A google search has many references to similar errors. After a quick skim, try exiting visual studio, deleting all the .pdb files in the FreeOrion tree, and restarting visual studio and trying again. A reboot might also help, I gather.

Dudely
Space Krill

#291 Post by Dudely »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dudely wrote:...when I try to build I get about 200 errors that say:

or
This isn't a FreeOrion-specific problem. A google search has many references to similar errors. After a quick skim, try exiting visual studio, deleting all the .pdb files in the FreeOrion tree, and restarting visual studio and trying again. A reboot might also help, I gather.
Of course. I should have thought of those things myself. My bad.

MCP
Space Krill

#292 Post by MCP »

In this thread nearly six years ago, he talks about a library used to check memory in a multi-threaded, c++ environment:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=387

It's been six years, have you guys been keeping up with tests like these?
I am interested.

Thanks.
Last edited by MCP on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#293 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MCP wrote:It's been six years, have you guys been keeping up with tests like these?
I don't believe anyone uses dmalloc as suggested in that thread. You'd have to get it and validate the tool for yourself anyway, so this doesn't really affect you abilitiy to use it.

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#294 Post by OndrejR »

MCP wrote:It's been six years, have you guys been keeping up with tests like these?
To check memory leaks is good valgrind. Memory leaks are not only in FreeOrion, but also in libraries which FreeOrion uses and this tool is in common use among C++ developers.