[BUG] Build error in ShipDesign.h

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

[BUG] Build error in ShipDesign.h

#1 Post by Vezzra »

When I tried to build recent SVN revisions, I got a build error in ShipDesign.h at line 715.

The affected code section is:

Code: Select all

// template implementations
template <class Archive>
void PartType::serialize(Archive& ar, const unsigned int version)
{
    ar  & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_name)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_description)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_class)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_stats)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_production_cost)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_production_time)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_mountable_slot_types)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_location)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_effects)
        & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_graphic);
}
The error occurs in this line:

& BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(m_icon);
The error message thrown is:

'm_graphic' was not declared in this scope
I found out that there is no "m_graphic" in PartType, but "m_icon". I guess "m_graphic" was replaced with "m_icon" in commit 4642, but the serialization code wasn't modified accordingly. When I replaced "m_graphic" with "m_icon" in the code section above, FO build successfully.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: [BUG] Build error in ShipDesign.h

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm guessing MSVC didn't produce a compile error from that bug due to that serialization function never actually being used, so no template instantiations of it were created.

That being the case, it's probably OK to just update the serialization function by replacing the m_graphic with m_icon.

If there had been any current or previous use of it, it would be necessary to have a test for the PartType class version and adjust the serialization accordingly, as you can't just rename variables without breaking the serialization of old saves that contain any of that class. See the changes the ShipDesign serialization and exporting in the version that made those changes.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...If there had been any current or previous use of it, it would be necessary to have a test for the PartType class version and adjust the serialization accordingly, as you can't just rename variables without breaking the serialization of old saves that contain any of that class. See the changes the ShipDesign serialization and exporting in the version that made those changes.
Hm, shouldn't these considerations also apply to the modifications of the HullType class? There "m_icon" was added, and the serialization code adjusted accordingly, but without any test for the HullType class version. And with "m_icon" not even added to PartType, but "just" being "m_graphic" renamed, I didn't think that class version checking would be required.

However, if we decide to be on the safe side and put in version checking for PartType, shouldn't be the same done for HullType?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:...with "m_icon" not even added to PartType, but "just" being "m_graphic" renamed, I didn't think that class version checking would be required.
All (or most?) FreeOrion serialization is done using name-value pairs, which as far as I can tell means that the data is stored as a name for the variable and its value together. That means that if a save game was created with an older version, it will have the older name of the variable that was renamed in a newer version. That will mean that the name the code is expecting won't match what's in the archive, and it will fail to deserialize. Having a version test prevents this problem, by avoiding attempting to serialize something with the wrong name, depending on the version of the archive being loaded.
However, if we decide to be on the safe side and put in version checking for PartType, shouldn't be the same done for HullType?
I don't intend to add version checking unless it's found to be necessary.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...I don't intend to add version checking unless it's found to be necessary.
Sounds reasonable.