FreeOrionD crashing on memory allocation

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

C.RAZY
Space Krill

FreeOrionD crashing on memory allocation

#1 Post by C.RAZY »

Hello!
I am playing SVN 5284 with 16GB of RAM in my machine.

I noticed that FreeOrionD crashed while having allocated around 1.2GB of memory (during long sessions) aready multiple times.
After restarting and loading the saved games, I could go on playing (memory leak?). So I could not post a savegame that recreates this bug...
Until now (well, sometimes it needs two turns to crash, but it does at last) :)

This late-game savegame has many ships (by the AI) and upon loading, FreeOrionD goes up to ~1.1GB RAM usage, FreeOrionCA to ~450MB, FreeOrion to ~460MB.

After pressing "Turn", FreeOrion and CA grow in memory usage as well, but FreeOrionD reaches 1.5GB and exits (including FreeOrionCA).
FreeOrion then tells me that the connection has been lost.

I tested directly loading the save and quitting/restarting/loading as well, but now I can't go on playing like the other times.

I would have added another bug to the bug tracker, but as that one only allows 256kb attachments, I post it here :)

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer, I monitor this forum as well as my mails!
Hope this helps fixing it, I only can compile and play (and loving playing it, btw) :)
Greetings,
C.RAZY

Edit: Savegame too big for attachment here as well (slightly over 2MB compressed with 7-zip v9.20), available at ccs-dzn.net/FreeOrion_C_CCS_0254.7z

Edit II: Confirmed with SVN 5357, just saw that the version number in the info panel doesn't update with SVN but is hardcoded, might have been a newer version than 5284 before...
Attachments
FreeOrion-logs.7z
Logfiles
(103.8 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FreeOrionD crashing on memory allocation

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

After a few tweaks to reduce logging volume, I was able to play a few turns of the save, until eventually the server crashed with "main() caught exception(std::exception): bad allocation" in the log, which does look like a memory issue.