Autocomf/Automake : which files

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Yoghurt
Programmer

Autocomf/Automake : which files

#1 Post by Yoghurt »

I'm nearly done with autoconfing FO and GiGi. My question now is whether I should check-in all files created my autoconf, that is, for example the configure script or if I just upload the "source"-files?

Pro and Con for uploading all files, in my opinion:

Pro:
- Users of mingw should be able to just run ./configure with MSYS and be done
- Linux-users without autoconf installed can also use configure

Contra:
- configure is very big (403K by now) and likely to change in a way that CVS cannot make out the diffs between previous versions and therefore everytime uploading a new configure
- need for autoconf 2.5 automake 1.7 libtool etc. to build the files

As a compromise, i would upload configure too, but bzipped, this way, it's only 80K

Suggestions?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

What's normally done? Perhaps we could ask another project on their forums why - such as the Celestia project: http://www.shatters.net/forum/

Off memory, they don't include configure. I think it's pretty normal not to include it in cvs from my experience, but I could be wrong.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#3 Post by Yoghurt »

tyreth wrote:Off memory, they don't include configure. I think it's pretty normal not to include it in cvs from my experience, but I could be wrong.
Yes, but they normally they don't have developers who want to use MinGW and do not have autoconf etc. installed

Maybe I can code a little autogen-script that downloads configure etc. somewhere from FreeOrion if needed...

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

Sounds plausible. We can put it on our sourceforge webspace.