FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 pm 
Programmer

Base of branch (partial resolved research window):
best FPS): 15
worst FP: 1
max draw calls: 1.7k

Tip of branch (partial resolved research window):
best FPS: 30
worst FPS: 15
max draw calls: ~950

Data obtained with
Code:
GALLIUM_HUD=fps,draw-calls ./freeorion

No visible artifacts. Go merge it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 pm 
Creative Contributor

MatGB wrote:
Edit: on the main map window, it's not just a perception, massive improvement in mouse responsiveness and general control over screen and game.

To follow up on this and because I edited at the same time Geoff posted, before this patch my mouse, even on small maps, was very slow to catch up with me in game, now it's moving at the same rate as in, say, my browser window, as far as I can see. And I've just researched Omni Scanner, which normally causes a further slowdown, not with this.

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:45 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

woot! Props to Geoff! (and raptor & adrian helping nudge things along). Sounds like this will be a nice improvement for many people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:04 pm 
Content Scripter

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Sloth wrote:
For me the easiest way to crash my framerate is to build the super testers takeover. With a big galaxy (250+) fully visible it even becomes hard to click on a system, because the mouse cursor reacts so badly.
Have you turned off background starfields and galaxy gas, and tried enabling or disabling optimizing system rendering?
The gas rendering was the culprit. The difference is huge! Everything else didn't matter.

Thanks for the hint Geoff!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:20 pm 
Programming, Design, Admin

I always run "freeorion -r" as that turns off the (imo unnecessary) eye candy including galaxy gas, and a few other things...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:05 pm 
Creative Contributor

Re the gas, I sorta like it, and my new machine can handle it, but it blurs very quickly with the molecular clouds, making them much harder to spot, could we have a bit of differentiation between them colour wise?

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:42 pm 
Pupating Mass

thanks for the merge, my performance doubled from 10 fps to 20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:01 pm 
Space Dragon

raptor wrote:
I did a callgrind analysis of the tech-tree window.
Hello, can you share some of your experience doing so ?
Just a quick howto get on the tracks.
- how do you launch a callgrind analysis on FO
- is it solwing FO down badly ? By how much ?
etc...

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:15 pm 
Space Squid

Hi,

I do this on Linux; my process is as follows:

1. Compile freeorion with debugging symbols. This means running a fresh CMake build. I do the following:
Code:
cd /dir/to/freeorion/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ..
make
ln -s ../default

That last command just makes the resources available to the binary you just compiled in the 'build' directory. It takes about 1/2 hour for me to compile from scratch.

2. Use callgrind to launch freeorion. I run it with the newly created debug-symbol-enriched binary like so:
Code:
valgrind --tool=callgrind ./freeorion

3. Be patient. Very patient. Callgrind will slow down the game by as much as 1/100 the normal speed. I had to wait about 5 min. for it to start up.
4. Start a very lightweight game (or as lightweight as possible). I chose 1 AI, 10 stars
5. Do your test plan. For the performance issues, my test plan was just to open the tech-window, show all locked techs, and let it render for 5 min.
6. Quit freeorion
7. Open the callgrind.out.1234 (or whatever the numbers are) file in a viewer. I use kcachegrind.
8. Analyze the callgraph. I'm no expert at this and sometimes you have to take care to find the correct node where the processing is being spent, and not a parent node.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 pm 
Space Dragon

OK thanks, that's also how I do it, but to skip a lot of the overhead before the really interesting part, I do start it with:
Code:
valgrind --tool=callgrind --instr-atstart=no ./freeorion

Then when I'm ready to gather the call traces, I do:
Code:
callgrind_control -i on

After capturing my profile data:
Code:
callgrind_control -i off

To avoid loosing to much time, I use a special build (-O2) but with the debug symbols still present...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:02 am 
Pupating Mass

another profiler is sysprof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 pm 
Dyson Forest

I just tested the new build... and wow, the improvement is very noticeable.

- Before, when I selected a system right after the game loading, there was a freeze of 2-3 seconds before the sidepanel shows up. Now, it's instantaneous
- When I toggled all techs in the Research panel, it took 3-4 seconds. Now, it's instantaneous.
- Same with the unavaialable ship parts in the Production panel.

I don't know if it's related to this improvement, but I set the FPS limiter to 30 fps, but in the previous versions, it didn't seem to have any effect (it could go up to 50 fps despite the setting). Now, it seems to be a constant 30 fps (closing all windows and doing nothing, it goes up to 40 fps, then goes down to 30 fps). Nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:59 pm 
Creative Contributor

MatGB wrote:
MatGB wrote:
Edit: on the main map window, it's not just a perception, massive improvement in mouse responsiveness and general control over screen and game.

To follow up on this and because I edited at the same time Geoff posted, before this patch my mouse, even on small maps, was very slow to catch up with me in game, now it's moving at the same rate as in, say, my browser window, as far as I can see. And I've just researched Omni Scanner, which normally causes a further slowdown, not with this.

More feedback, I'm using the Windows laptop now and the improvement is even more noticeable than it was on Linux, vastly improved framerates, the game mouse pointer stays with the system pointer with no noticeable lag.

This is definitely worth highlighting in the changelog as while it didn't bother everyone for those of us it did it's a significant improvement in performance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:23 am 
Pupating Mass

I have a feeling theres way more performance improvement possible, please keep at it to the point it runs @60fps on fast computers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:29 am 
Programming, Design, Admin

pheldens wrote:
I have a feeling theres way more performance improvement possible, please keep at it to the point it runs @60fps on fast computers
Yes, much of the GUI rendering, including almost any widgets that have details like curved edges, are rendered with very inefficient immediate OpenGL calls. Switching everything over to vertex buffers would help quite a bit, particularly on things like the research screen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next