Where best to help ?

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

yanub
Space Floater

Where best to help ?

#1 Post by yanub »

Hi everyone,

Just discovered the game, and love it. I'm pretty decent at C++, and while free time is something that happens to other people, I think I can tackle some improvements.

I've seen the Developer work page: does anyone work on the configurable keyboard shortcuts feature ? This is something that actually bothered me when playing.

There is also another thing that bothered me: while I've noticed that it's easy to turn the "object list" into a "my ship list" (or whatever), I think it may be useful to have more specific lists, such as "Ship lists", "Planet lists" and the like, that would display more detailed information (number, power, troops, colony modules and the like for ships, planet type/population and so on for planets), and make that sortable. What do you think about this ?

Cheers

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Where best to help ?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yanub wrote:does anyone work on the configurable keyboard shortcuts feature ?
I was looking at it briefly a few weeks ago, as I was implementing cut and paste commands for Edit controls, and noted that they wouldn't work in many parts of the UI because the MapWnd wasn't open (which is a problem because all the hotkeys are presently set up in the MapWnd) or the GUI was showing a modal window (which disables all hotkeys). I haven't implemented anything yet, though. There was someone who posted some hotkey configuration code a few years ago, but he never finished it. You might search for that code and discussion on the forums.
...display more detailed information (number, power, troops, colony modules and the like for ships, planet type/population and so on for planets), and make that sortable
Adding configurable columns, and the ability to sort by any column to the objects window, is definitely on the to do list.