MacOsX Version issues

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

.Id
Space Squid

Re: MacOsX Version issues

#121 Post by .Id »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
OndrejR wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:What revision is used in the MacOSX version of 0.3.11...?
It was posted earlier on this thread that revision is 2793.
Yes, but he later posted...
.Id wrote:It's updated. Go ahead and re-download.
It's 2793... with a manual change of universe visibility. (that's what the update meant)

Naesbye
Krill Swarm

#122 Post by Naesbye »

Geoff the Medio wrote: If the XCode project would be useful for others, that could be included in SVN as well, much like the MSVC project files.
It certainly would be for people like me who like to build interim versions, especially if the time between releases is high (which admittedly it isn't these days).

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#123 Post by eleazar »

Naesbye wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote: If the XCode project would be useful for others, that could be included in SVN as well, much like the MSVC project files.
It certainly would be for people like me who like to build interim versions, especially if the time between releases is high (which admittedly it isn't these days).
I haven't used XCode before, but i'm interested in giving it a try if (as i hope) it's relatively easy to take the pre-made project, add the source and create a binary.

.Id
Space Squid

#124 Post by .Id »

eleazar wrote: I haven't used XCode before, but i'm interested in giving it a try if (as i hope) it's relatively easy to take the pre-made project, add the source and create a binary.
As long as the project/SDK is up to date with respect to dependencies, it would usually be trivial to keep your own build up to date.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the Xcode project as I get 0.3.12 working. Maybe once once that's sorted out, it would be a good time to put it in everyone's hands.

eleazar

#125 Post by eleazar »

.Id wrote:Maybe once once that's sorted out, it would be a good time to put it in everyone's hands.
Sounds good.

Naesbye
Krill Swarm

#126 Post by Naesbye »

Yeah, unless changes to the build modify the relative paths, then it should all be a matter of running

Code: Select all

svn update
, launch the XCode project and press 'Build'.

.Id
Space Squid

#127 Post by .Id »

Here's a testing version (i386 only): FreeOrion.0.3.12.rev2835-mac-i386.zip
Let me know if there's any problems.

The app bundle definitely didn't work for me anymore. Spent a lot of time trying to fix to no avail.
I'm thinking maybe it will sort itself out when I clean up the Xcode project... but maybe someone else has more insight into this.

So instead of double clicking the app, open up a terminal, go to where it is, and do:

FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeOrion
You'll have to do this anyway to test the combat demo:

FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeOrion --tech-demo
Before you try new versions you may want to move the old configuration stuff out of the way. (just do this once when moving to a different FO version)

mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/FreeOrion/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/FreeOrion.old

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#128 Post by OndrejR »

.Id wrote:The app bundle definitely didn't work for me anymore. Spent a lot of time trying to fix to no avail.
I'm thinking maybe it will sort itself out when I clean up the Xcode project... but maybe someone else has more insight into this.

So instead of double clicking the app, open up a terminal, go to where it is, and do...
I don't have mac, but in Linux in KDE there is something as working directory in application icon setup. Maybe similar thing is in mac.

eleazar

#129 Post by eleazar »

It works for me using those terminal commands.

I couldn't select any fleets, since the system selection area seemed to totally cover the fleet no matter how i adjusted the options, but i assume that's due to the incomplete changes in that part of the code.

The tech demo part seems rather sluggish, but i can zoom, select different planets and rotate.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#130 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:I couldn't select any fleets, since the system selection area seemed to totally cover the fleet no matter how i adjusted the options, but i assume that's due to the incomplete changes in that part of the code.
Is that using an up-to-date SVN version? (That shouldn't be happening in the latest SVN)

You might just need to delete your config.xml.

Edit: You should be able to use hotkeys to select things if mouse clicks won't or can't work.

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#131 Post by OndrejR »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:I couldn't select any fleets, since the system selection area seemed to totally cover the fleet no matter how i adjusted the options, but i assume that's due to the incomplete changes in that part of the code.
Is that using an up-to-date SVN version? (That shouldn't be happening in the latest SVN)
He uses revision 2835. Clickable problem was solved in revision 2843.

.Id
Space Squid

#132 Post by .Id »

Hard drive failure, means this will have to go a little different. Here's 2905 in two parts
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymnozqrxhyn/FreeOri1.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kmwazimzmni/FreeOri2.zip

You'll have to manually combine the two parts after unzipping:

cp -r FreeOrion\ 2.app/ FreeOrion.app/
rm -r FreeOrion\ 2.app
Still couldn't get the bundle working, so use a terminal.
I don't really understand it, except that it's not the binary itself failing due to paths. It's like the bundle doesn't even find the binary within.
Last edited by .Id on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

.Id
Space Squid

#133 Post by .Id »

Post above edited with new URLs of mac binary for testing

patches for source code are attached now...
Attachments
patches.zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

.Id
Space Squid

#134 Post by .Id »

So actually it was the binary failing with the application bundle, which I had to go to the system logs to find out.

Turns out OS X passes an argument to applications using Carbon, which of course was seen as an invalid argument in the FO binary.
I just changed the source to ignore any -psn* arguments on OS X, so now it will run from finder.

Added this change and some comments to the patches I posted yesterday, reattached.
Attachments
FO-0.3.12-osx-patches.zip
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#135 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Your patch for freeorion doesn't appear to contain the XCode project files. Can those be bundled up in a ready-to-use way and put in SVN as well?