About Bug #563 Restore a sane SidePanel scrollbar size

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

vincele
Space Dragon

About Bug #563 Restore a sane SidePanel scrollbar size

#1 Post by vincele »

Hello,

I hope I'll be expressing myself correctly, I'm no native english speaker.

I created the #563 bug report+patch thinking it was an obvious and trivial change, I was wrong, so here goes the discussion:

The side panel scrollbar is always taller than needed, even when all the panels would fit in a single page, I removed the "padding to be safe" and nothing wrong happened. Is it still needed for something I overlooked ?

I've been told that this was designed as such to let the list scroll a bit, even in cases where it would not, and that is helpful to prevent occasional quirks.

I never saw scrollbars that default to not start at the top (or sometimes bottom) when created, I found it disturbing, and then after a bit of usage, annoying, because it was hiding something from me, and eventually forcing me to scrollback myself to the top. This looks un-KISS to me.

I like scrollbars that remember where they were the last time I set them, but that's another thing.

I also dont think padded scrollbars are good because the actual presence/absence or active/greyed of it should be an indicator of the actual presence/absence of something more to look at. So if I see a scrollbar, I'll go looking at what planets hide there, because I'm actually interested in planets, and this padding is fooling me into doing that useless scrolling to see no planets, and I'm getting frustrated. This is about UI intuitiveness.

The issue is somewhat related to eleazzaar's suggestion in FR#126.

And I don't understand the rationale to hide the potential bugs, no one could fix them if they are papered over and no one sees them.

Thanks for all input
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: About Bug #563 Restore a sane SidePanel scrollbar size

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

vincele wrote:And I don't understand the rationale to hide the potential bugs...
The point isn't to hide a bug, but rather to make it less likely to prevent a player from accessing a planet if something weird happens with the sidepanel scroll bars.

vincele
Space Dragon

Re: About Bug #563 Restore a sane SidePanel scrollbar size

#3 Post by vincele »

But if a player can access its planets the bug won't be reported, so not fixed, do we really want to accumulate such bandaids or just fix the bugs ?
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!