MapWnd save/restore popup visibility consistently

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

vincele
Space Dragon

Re: MapWnd save/restore popup visibility consistently

#16 Post by vincele »

Dilvish wrote:Just to check, Matt, do you ever observe any real problems with dragging the sitrep scrollbar; is there a particular reason you dislike dragging it to the top?
I think the brain choose the quickest way to achieve the goal, not even being conscious that it's a side-effect and not the designed way.
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by MatGB »

TBH, I've never liked grabbing and dragging scrollbars, I think it comes from very early PC use when it would go horribly wrong and be unreliable (on the machines at college I was using).

I'm not even sure I'd tried it until now, so used to being able to hit a key to do something. Plus, y'know, general lagginess in the game later on, trying to do anything with the mouse can get frustrating, I forget to make sure the game pointer has caught up with the system pointer, etc (which I'm sure isn't uncommon or just me, others have complained about lag & game pointer a few times, but turning it to just game pointer allowed in options messes up other things the way I'm setup).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

vincele
Space Dragon

#18 Post by vincele »

MatGB wrote:TBH, I've never liked grabbing and dragging scrollbars, I think it comes from very early PC use when it would go horribly wrong and be unreliable (on the machines at college I was using).
I don't like it myself, but the mouse scroll button mitigated that a lot
MatGB wrote:general lagginess in the game later on, trying to do anything with the mouse can get frustrating, I forget to make sure the game pointer has caught up with the system pointer, etc (which I'm sure isn't uncommon or just me, others have complained about lag & game pointer a few times, but turning it to just game pointer allowed in options messes up other things the way I'm setup).
FO is not really playable on my laptop, even in the early game turns : mouse pointer laggines, low FPS, CPU maxed out, etc... So I know what you mean. And I fully understand the (mis)use of the toggle as a quick way to scroll back to top. Perhaps we should find another good way to allow for that. Maybe the scrollbar buttons...
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.

vincele
Space Dragon

#19 Post by vincele »

vincele wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:I think the purpose of HideAppPopups and ShowAllPopups was to accomplish what you want, but most of the "popup" windows aren't derived from MapWndPopup, so don't work with this feature.
Would that be the best route for action ? I can give this a try...
Hello, here is a patchset that try that.
  • * ObjectList, Messages, Empires and SitRep are converted to being subclasses of MapWndPopup
    * HideAllPopups() is used to consistently do the Show/Hide dance when toggling the design, production and research windows
    * Adds the missing ShowAllPopups()
Looks simple enough and works for me in my (somewhat limited) testing...

[The extension diff has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

vincele
Space Dragon

#20 Post by vincele »

vincele
Space Dragon

#21 Post by vincele »

vincele
Space Dragon

#22 Post by vincele »

Here is a combined diff for easier reviewing...

vincele
Space Dragon

#23 Post by vincele »

Add this one to cover EncyclopediaDetailPanel...

vincele
Space Dragon

#24 Post by vincele »

Hello,

I'd appreciate any input, comment, review or even better compile / runtime testing (especially on win32)

In addition to those patches that should not change behaviour except for the consistency between the toggles, I would like to discuss additional changes:
* hide messages and empires popups at game beginning, i.e. start with only universe map, and let the user choose what info he wants himself.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Can you add license statements to posts (or as a signature) indicating you release changes under the GPL 2.0 or later?

vincele
Space Dragon

#26 Post by vincele »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Can you add license statements to posts (or as a signature) indicating you release changes under the GPL 2.0 or later?
Hello,
Should that statement be on every patch or post with patches ?
I did a "global" declaration that my patches for FO will be GPL'd here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8787#p68826, but I can put that in my .sig if that's the norm...

Geoff the Medio

#27 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Keeping track of every new contributor who's posted a patch and whether they've posted a license release somewhere is impractical... a signature or per-patch re-statement is preferable.

vincele
Space Dragon

#28 Post by vincele »

.sig done

Geoff the Medio

#29 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Patches apply and build fine, but the popup windows aren't actually hidden when opening research, production, or design screens...

vincele
Space Dragon

#30 Post by vincele »

I'm working on a more complete & hopefully working solution