Linking Issue

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Linking Issue

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

vincele
Space Dragon

Re: Linking Issue

#2 Post by vincele »

Seems related to issues talked about in there
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

vincele wrote:Seems related to issues talked about in there
I'm not sure what portion of that discussion you're referring to (unless simply the broad idea that the optimized libraries wind up much smaller than the debug libraries). It seems to me that this issue stems totally from the fact that since libfreeorioncommon.so is not intended as a general purpose shared library we have been content to rely on the fact that all our executables would also be linked with libfreeorionparse.so and so had not been linking libfreeorioncommon.so with libfreeorionparse.so.

It's also my impression that it's actually Mageia's default flag -Wl,--no-undefined that is triggering this error rather than -Wl,--as-needed

Anyway, I'm probably just writing here from some urge to post moreso than a true contribution of expertise; I'll be glad to leave the response on this issue to Marcel. :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#4 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:It's also my impression that it's actually Mageia's default flag -Wl,--no-undefined that is triggering this error rather than -Wl,--as-needed
You're probably right. common and parse are circular referencing to each other. Adding -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined for common should fix this.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz