auto load saved designs

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Mitten.O
Programmer

Re: auto load saved designs

#16 Post by Mitten.O »

With options there are always three options, not two:
1) Hardcoded
2) Available in the options window
3) Available only in the config file

Option three does not make life harder for normal usage, but gives developers, power users and people with problems a chance to tweak things. I agree that option two might be justifiable for this one, but three would be good, too.
Any code by me in this post is released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Our UI/Graphics Lead Eleazar (largely absent as of late due to upsurge in RL demands)
I think eleazar can be considered inactive, probably even "emeritus". So actually the position of the UI/graphics lead is kind of vacant currently.
...minimize the addition of new options, but I agree that this seems like a pretty suitable situation for one.

Geoff, Vezzra, thoughts on that?
I'd say that warrants an option in the options dialog.

vincele
Space Dragon

#18 Post by vincele »

Dilvish wrote:Our UI/Graphics had urged us to minimize the addition of new options, but I agree that this seems like a pretty suitable situation for one.
Yes, minimize != forbidden, I think this one will be pretty harmless.
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

vincele wrote:...I think this one will be pretty harmless.
Any given option is usually "pretty harmless"... The problem is that there are lots of those options that could be added, and I think the argument is that unless it's a particularly compelling / useful one, it shouldn't be added to avoid clutter.

(Not that I necessarily agree, particularly for this stage of the project...)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

How about, rather than in options, have it as a checkbox toggle in galaxy creation? When you start a new game, it defaults to load saved designs unless you say otherwise before hitting start.

Could even go before the start button so it's not even in the way unless you want to pay attention to it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:How about, rather than in options, have it as a checkbox toggle in galaxy creation?
This option is not that important.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#22 Post by em3 »

MatGB wrote:How about, rather than in options, have it as a checkbox toggle in galaxy creation? When you start a new game, it defaults to load saved designs unless you say otherwise before hitting start.

Could even go before the start button so it's not even in the way unless you want to pay attention to it.
How would that work in multiplayer?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#23 Post by Dilvish »

I just noticed that our "Other" Options page is nearly unpopulated, with only one current entry, so adding another entry there certainly won't clutter it. I am becoming pretty inclined to add this option there -- if later on that options page does start to get cluttered then we could do a pruning pass and this could be shifted over to a config-file-only option (i.e. leaving in the config.xml options database but removing the Options UI element for changing it) as suggested by Mitten.O.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

JdH
Space Floater

#24 Post by JdH »

I don't like only config file options. I'd rather hide advanced and situational options in advanced option menues.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish

#25 Post by Dilvish »

Code: Select all

r7728 | dilvish-fo | 2014-09-26 09:52:07 -0700 (Fri, 26 Sep 2014) | 1 line

Added OptionsDB entry and corresponding Options->Other checkbox to control whether all saved designs would be automatically added to player empire at game start

Dilvish

#26 Post by Dilvish »

Also closely enough related that I'll simply mention it here:

Code: Select all

r7729 | dilvish-fo | 2014-09-26 11:33:58 -0700 (Fri, 26 Sep 2014) | 1 line

when repopulating designs in DesignWnd Finished Designs (e.g., after a design deletion), preserve position in listbox