Pleased to declare the FleetWnd segfault bug to be fixed

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Pleased to declare the FleetWnd segfault bug to be fixed

#1 Post by Dilvish »

This was the bug which periodically caused shift-select operations on the FleetWindow to cause a crash;here is the commit. I decided not to open a PR on this one like I did the outpost combat bug, but I still wanted to make sure to point it out so it makes it into our next release notes bugfix list.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Pleased to declare the FleetWnd segfault bug to be fixed

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:This was the bug which periodically caused shift-select operations on the FleetWindow to cause a crash;
Is this the same as various drag-drop FleetWnd crashes?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9053
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8845

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Is this the same as various drag-drop FleetWnd crashes?
Possibly-- in both cases they had just selected multiple ships, and if that had been done via shift-select it's possible that it could have left one of the stored iterators in a bad state even if it didn't immediately cause a crash during the shift-select.

I looked through the ListBox code and the FleetWnd code for any more cases of the same kind of bug, and found what looks like at least a spots in ListBox that were at risk for the same bug. I put up a PR for some proposed additional safety checks.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

If you really managed to nail that bug, that would be positively awesome. This nasty has been a pain for far too long. :lol:

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote:If you really managed to nail that bug, that would be positively awesome. This nasty has been a pain for far too long. :lol:
What he said, had it happen to me last week, couldn't replicate and logs weren't helpful.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.