AI Chattiness

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

AI Chattiness

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Is it intended, necessary, and or a good idea to have every AI respond to every chat message typed in the messages window?

Particularly for a multiplayer game with two humans who actually are trying to chat, this seems like it would be quite annoying.
Attachments
ai responding to chat messages
ai responding to chat messages
ai_chat_responses.png (48.97 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: AI Chattiness

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Is it intended, necessary, and or a good idea to have every AI respond to every chat message typed in the messages window?
Currently intended, yes, though largely as a placeholder. I didn't want them to just be totally ignoring all chat, but until we get something more interesting going we could just have them respond that first time.
Particularly for a multiplayer game with two humans who actually are trying to chat, this seems like it would be quite annoying.
Well, I would think they should using directed chat then, not open channel?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:
...a multiplayer game with two humans...
Well, I would think they should using directed chat then, not open channel?
If there's just two, or all the humans are friendly, not necessarily.

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

ok, sometime over the weekend I should be able to hush them up a fair bit. It's also making me think we should adjust the main interface spec also (AIInterface.h) it calls for the AI to respond to the message knowing only the sender and the text, but it's actually in AIClient.cpp that the ReceivingPlayer info gets stripped out -- I guess it hadn't crossed anyone's mind that it could be useful to distinguish open channel chat from directed chat.

Also, something that comes to mind, akin to the 'help' command, we could have all the AI's accept a "Be quiet" command via chat. I guess that would solve the problem too :lol:
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#5 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:Also, something that comes to mind, akin to the 'help' command, we could have all the AI's accept a "Be quiet" command via chat. I guess that would solve the problem too :lol:
Just let them respond if they're directly addressed. Matching them only respond when the text contains a pattern like '@<NAME>' for a single AI to respond and '@all' for making them all respond.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:Just let them respond if they're directly addressed. Matching them only respond when the text contains a pattern like '@<NAME>' for a single AI to respond and '@all' for making them all respond.
Something like that will be good if/when we have them saying something more. For now I already put in some more restrictions so they don't respond more than once, and not necessarily to the first chat, so they don't all respond at the same time. It's all just a trivial bit of flavor.