About races in general, early thoughts.
Graphilly are some archtypes that I would like to use. Important: stone-biologic-mechanical-insect and then fish/flying-lizard?-energy-cyborg .. or combinations of thoselike stone-energy, or mechanical-insect races.
In terms of the general approach to races, I agree that we need a defined set of archetypes. Having a set number of race archetypes would help artists to create race pics for custom races, and allow designers to systematically approach the pick-and-choose process of stock races later.
I believe archetypes should be classified mostly in terms of the creature physiology. Although some social/mental/psi traits are very easily associated with certain physiology (e.g. Hive-mind to Insectoids), I believe there are generally no restriction to attach social traits to any type of physiology (who's to say gasbags can't have democracy?).
Hence, I propose the following list of archetypes, and also propose all race submissions identify which archetype (or a mixture of which archetypes) the race falls into:
- subtypes can include (1) Human, (2) animal-inspired humanoid (e.g. Alkari, Bulrathi, Mrrshan) (3) Area-51 type humanoid (e.g. Psilon, Evon) and (4) fantasy-inspired (e.g. Ellerian, Gnolams).
2. Mineral life
- subtypes can include silicon-based life (e.g. Silicoid).
- subtypes can include (1) fully mechanical (e.g. Mekklar in MoO3) and (2) cyborg (e.g. Cynoid).
- subtypes can include (1) ant-inspired (Klakkon) and (2) spider-inspired (Tachidi).
- subtypes can include (1) fish-inspired (Trillarian) and (2) clam-inspired (Nommo).
- subtypes can include (1) dinosaur-inspired (Sakkra, Grendarl) and (2) snake-inspired (Raas).
- subtypes can include gasbags (Imsaeis, Eoladi - honestly I can't distinquish them in terms of physiology).
8. Energy beings
- subtypes can include (1) fire/plasma-inspired or (2) ghost-inspired.
Other possible archetypes
shapeshifter (Darlok), symbiotic (Ithkul), microbial ...
Obviously I don't have authority to set these archetypes, and am not wedded to any of the terminology or subtypes here. This is only a suggestion. Any support?