Now that's it's easy to crunch the numbers, something rather broken is made evident: The universe generator has some very
strong biases towards certain planet types.
* I zeroed out everything having to do with planets in the universe_tables.
* I generated a 500 star galaxy, and saved before taking a turn
* I used a text editor to count all instances of the planet types
* I got the following results:
In all my tests "Radiated" was the highest followed by these three: "toxic", "inferno", & "barren." Ocean was always the least plentiful. Swamp, tundra, desert, and terran were usually about equal. There are always vastly more gas giants than asteroids
I am stuck using a slightly out of date version (rc 4, or maybe 5), the last one i could get to work on my mac, so it's possible my results aren't duplicated in current versions. I'd be interested to see if other people get these sort of results.
EDIT: it looks like it reads the tables all wrong. I changed the frequency of neutrons and black holes, and everything else was zeroed. The number of these star types changed, and the number of barren
planets changed massively.
Also with everything zeroed, i get a nearly equal mix of tiny, small, and medium... and absolutely no large or huge worlds.