Tech Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: Tech Icons

#256 Post by Tortanick »

When I read that post I immediately thought of this, but it seems too detailed for a category icon.

P.S. you can see why I normally don't post graphics :)
Attachments
trade.png
trade.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 2774 times

Josh
Graphics

#257 Post by Josh »

No, not at all, that's what the junkyard is for ;)
speaking of which, I'll add to it once I flesh out some more tech icons like these.

Collective Thought Network

Fusion Plants - I don't know about this one.

edit:
Enclave of the Void

Controlled Gravity Wells - updated: hit your refresh button if it still looks the same

Alternatively, that first icon would make a compelling distributed computing icon. It's a win-win scenario :) !
I had some marbles I was playing around with that I wanted to use for distributed computing or collective thought, but they are in the junkyard right now until somebody can figure out how to make a coherent image out of them. I don't know if anyone ever heard of the phrase "lost your marbles"...

Marbles

...it's interesting that one might consider a brain to be similar to a marble, but there you have it.
Geoff wrote:the icon for the resource produced by trade meters should suggest social control, political power or influence
That sounds suspiciously like taxes. Let's check with the magic 8 ball again, just to make sure.
The Magical-8-Ball wrote:regardless of whether it's measured in dollars, leaves, credits or no specific unit
Yep, that sounds like taxes alright.
Last edited by Josh on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Josh
Graphics

To whom it may concern

#258 Post by Josh »

Yeah, I'm just yanking his chain again :P . It appears that we're going to be working on creating a new trade meter icon, a ship icon, and revising the economy icon. I would dearly like to know what I'm going to come up with :?

Btw, Silent One, where's that icon for transforming structures you did? It's not in this thread (Honestly I didn't think it was that bad).
Last edited by Josh on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#259 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The money vs. social control discussion has been split off to this thread. There were a few mixed posts which may or may not have been moved, so if someone appears to be replying to a missing post, check the other thread.

Josh
Graphics

New Update!

#260 Post by Josh »

An update is in order, but I'm probably gonna end up revising these anyways, so if they don't quite look right that's why. I do revisions quicker once I have something to look at.

Economic Etherealization

Paradise Planet

Transforming Structures (It's silent one's, I finally found it)

Controlled Gravity Architecture

Self Gravitating Structures

So many tech icons........... :(

The Silent One
Graphics

#261 Post by The Silent One »

Wow. I'm honestly impressed by these new icons. :shock: Random criticism:

Paradise planet: the second glass doesn"t match the style of the other foreground objects; the dice look slightly distorted.

Transforming structures: I probably should reduce the width of the outline. (Will have a look at it in-game.)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Josh
Graphics

At pd

#262 Post by Josh »

Hey pd, the last tweaks you gave my icons before you added them looked really good. You wouldn't mind doing that for the next batch, would you?

edit: I guess he would; looks like pd's off the project.
Last edited by Josh on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#263 Post by shrinkshooter »

Josh, I really like your icons. You're doing great work in my opinion, and I applaud your effort.

Economic etherealization is the only thing you've made that I can't really connect to its meaning. I read the description, and it's pretty much an abstract concept, so there is no right answer for this. Maybe you could try making something that puts the NYSE and some computer-ish graphics in the same icon.

Additionally, I pretty much have given up on 2D graphics. I suck at them. However, my hand-drawing techniques seem to be doing just fine, and the only problem then is whether I'm on the right track. Instead of screwing around with ship designs, I thought maybe I'd try to lend a hand conceptually, since you seem to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting as far as the icons go. I have the pics right next to me, but I'll scan them a little later and put their descriptions in the post. I fully understand that you may not want to use them, or pd will shoot them down again, but I figured I had to do something pertinent to the "here and now" of FO. We have very few icons left blank, and I thought perhaps (a shot in the dark, I know) I might be able to help you along.

Be aware, however, I'm not spineless. I can take a heavy criticism or outright bash. If they don't suit your needs or are useless, just tell me so and I'll pretty much say "ok." I'll just try again, since that's really all I CAN do at this point. I'll draw what comes to my mind and give it to you, and hopefully that will be a springboard and/or catalyst for your creative process, making your job easier and facilitating it faster.

Scan to come soon.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

Josh
Graphics

#264 Post by Josh »

shrinkshooter wrote:Instead of screwing around with ship designs, I thought maybe I'd try to lend a hand conceptually, since you seem to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting as far as the icons go. I have the pics right next to me, but I'll scan them a little later and put their descriptions in the post.
Any concepts you can lend would be great.
shrinkshooter wrote:or pd will shoot them down again
I wouldn't worry about that, unfortunately...
shrinkshooter wrote:I'll draw what comes to my mind and give it to you, and hopefully that will be a springboard and/or catalyst for your creative process, making your job easier and facilitating it faster.
I am uncertain as to the fate of FO or my part in the project. The Graphics team just got it's ass handed to it. Or handed it in themselves, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

But feel free to contribute any way you want, regardless.

Olemars
Krill Swarm

#265 Post by Olemars »

Josh wrote: I am uncertain as to the fate of FO or my part in the project. The Graphics team just got it's ass handed to it. Or handed it in themselves, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I guess it's one of those days.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#266 Post by shrinkshooter »

Josh wrote:The Graphics team just got it's ass handed to it.
Really? Did something happen or whatever? I haven't been around recently so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

As for the scan:

Living Planet: The first pic shows a robotic brain, symbolic of a computer processing center for the planet, attached to a living heart in the middle of a planet. This is perhaps a bit grotesque and too detailed for an icon, but I'm leaving the "iconifying" to you. The second pic shows living trees on a planet connected to a central computer (or an EEG machine, you decide; i thought maybe an EEG would convey life a little more). This central computer can be replaced by a myriad of icons, including a robotic brain like in the first idea. The last idea is my least favorite and probably least useful. I'm against using valentine hearts for icons anywhere in the game but other people seemed to like using that idea to convey life, so i figured I'd make that. I'm sure none of these are good to go, but I think if you take these and run with them you'll come up with something good.

Fleet Logistics: Pretty straightfroward. Icon(s) of a fleet, showing arrows blended into system-like stuff (stars, planets), making sure the first system thing in the chain has the icon of supply involved in it. I'm pretty sure this sort of idea is pretty much the idea for fleet logistics, something that involves supply, several systems, a fleet, and showing the supply movement. however, these pics are ridiculously rough and once again it's all up to you.

SUPERWEAPON: Pacmanicannon! Fear it.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#267 Post by Tortanick »

For fleet logistics, rather than a supply chain of planet --> star --> ship, how about an interconnected web of planets and ships linked by arrows. Too complex?

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#268 Post by shrinkshooter »

Tortanick wrote:For fleet logistics, rather than a supply chain of planet --> star --> ship, how about an interconnected web of planets and ships linked by arrows. Too complex?
I don't know, a web of things like that might be a bit hard to put into a 128x128 px icon, but you'd have to get an opinion from Josh.

==edit==

By the way Josh, I sent you a pm. Please reply to it ASAP. Thanks.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#269 Post by utilae »

Josh wrote: I am uncertain as to the fate of FO or my part in the project. The Graphics team just got it's ass handed to it. Or handed it in themselves, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

The graphics team still lives, ok.
It is an April Fools Joke, so they were all joking. :D

shrinkshooter wrote:
Josh wrote:The Graphics team just got it's ass handed to it.
Really? Did something happen or whatever? I haven't been around recently so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
He is referring to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2149
It is an April Fools Joke, so they were all joking. :D

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#270 Post by shrinkshooter »

Yah I know. I figured that out quite a while ago but I didn't want to say anything because I thought for the hell of it I'd string people along. Or let other poeple string people along, you know what I mean. Seriously, three major people involved with the project banned? Right.

Funny thing is, now watch it SERIOUSLY go linux only. Think of the OMGs then!