Statically linked Linux-version

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Canew
Space Krill

Re: Statically linked Linux-version

#61 Post by Canew »

kroddn wrote:Normally, after you get the message "CWD: /usr/local/games/freeorion/application", another message shold appear saying "chdir(.)"

If that does not appear, it seems that the binary is not starting regularily on your system.

Which version did you download? What Computer / OS do you use?

Please append the output from the fallowing command:

Code: Select all

ldd /home/user/games/freeorion/application/freeorion
I downloaded the "latest.tar.gz" from the link in your first post. I am running this on an eeepc running Xandros (Debian child).

When I type the command, I get this:

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7f95000)
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb7f1c000)
        libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0xb7e9d000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7e8a000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7d58000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f96000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7c6c000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c68000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7c5a000)
        libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xb7c55000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0xb7c2f000)
        libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0xb7c26000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb7b41000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7b36000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7b33000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7b2e000)

Fenix2004
Space Krill

#62 Post by Fenix2004 »

err hi there, i was looking around and i found freeorion, i downloaded it but i had absolutely no idea where to start to get it working.

i have 0 knowledge of linux or any operating system other than windows, and i was wondering if there is a file that i can download, that literally all i need to do is unzip it, click install and *boom* i can play... is this possible?

or is it always going to be more complicated... cos i spent a long time trying to figure out what to do but i got nowhere lol... is there maybe a step by step guide somewhere for complete novices to this sort of thing that will tell me exactly what to do?

any help would be appreciated :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#63 Post by pd »

Fenix2004 wrote: i had absolutely no idea where to start to get it working (...)i was wondering if there is a file that i can download, that literally all i need to do is unzip it, click install and *boom* i can play... is this possible? (...)i spent a long time trying to figure out what to do but i got nowhere l
You make it sound really hard, when actually is plain simple. For windows users at least there is an installer on the sourceforge page.

Don't expect this to be an actual game yet.

kroddn
Static Linker

#64 Post by kroddn »

Canew wrote: I downloaded the "latest.tar.gz" from the link in your first post. I am running this on an eeepc running Xandros (Debian child).
I suppose that the eeePC does not suppoert openGL 1.5, and therefore the game crashes. It may be a feature request to let the code throw an error message if that happens...
Fenix2004 wrote:err hi there, i was looking around and i found freeorion, i downloaded it but i had absolutely no idea where to start to get it working.

i have 0 knowledge of linux or any operating system other than windows, and i was wondering if there is a file that i can download, that literally all i need to do is unzip it, click install and *boom* i can play... is this possible?

or is it always going to be more complicated... cos i spent a long time trying to figure out what to do but i got nowhere lol... is there maybe a step by step guide somewhere for complete novices to this sort of thing that will tell me exactly what to do?

any help would be appreciated :)
There is a README here:
http://psitronic.de/div/FO/README.txt

Download the game, extract it and run setup.sh - thats all you have to do :-)

joe_y
Space Krill

#65 Post by joe_y »

stormspireiv wrote:First of all, I love the option for a Linux binary! I compiled freeorion a while back on Gutsy and it was a hassle, even moreso for a newer Linux user. I can confirm that the binary runs on 64bit systems (Hardy to be exact), but it seems the research button crashes the game. When I compiled it on Gutsy, I remember being able to access the research screen.
Something similar here. I can go to the research menu but clicking on a tech button (i wanted to see the tech informations) crashes the game. No extra output on the terminal.

Following into my basedir
CWD: /home/johannes/freeorion/application
chdir(.)
HumanClientApp::HandleMessage(HOST_SP_GAME)
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
HumanClientApp::HandleMessage(GAME_START)
HumanClientApp::HandleSaveGameDataRequest(SAVE_GAME)
Received save game data from player Happy_Player ... 0 orders received
Received save game data from player AI_1 ... 0 orders received
Received save game data from player AI_3 ... 0 orders received
Received save game data from player AI_4 ... 0 orders received
Received save game data from player AI_2 ... 0 orders received
Hardy 32bit (Ubuntu 8.04)
Mobility Radeon 9600 (fglrx, supports OpenGL 2.0)

I tried it even with a removed libgraphviz package, same result.

Another Problem: The sound crickles because openal is a bad implementation of the specs. But this is more a bug of openal, debian and ubuntu (bug report). Maybe you could link the linux binary against openal-soft, too?

Thank you very much for your time packaging :)

The Silent One
Graphics

#66 Post by The Silent One »

I tried rev 2548 on hardy (8.04) and it hangs upon universe generation... any ideas? Did anyone else encounter the same problem?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Laryllan
Space Krill

#67 Post by Laryllan »

Same problem here, Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit.

It says:

/usr/local/games/freeorion/application/freeorionca: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.4.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Seems like there is problem with a python lib...

p.s. I wish there were a .deb. :P

kroddn
Static Linker

#68 Post by kroddn »

You will have to install python2.4, as mentioned in http://psitronic.de/div/FO/README.txt .
This can be done by the following command:

sudo apt-get install python2.4
There are really to much linux distros to support an installer for them all. Maybe if FreeOrion goes towards a 1.0 Release, then I would invest that time.

@joe_y: it seems that you are using an older version, use the newest one from http://psitronic.de/div/FO/ ! And install python2.4 as mentioned above.
The Silent One wrote:I tried rev 2548 on hardy (8.04) and it hangs upon universe generation... any ideas? Did anyone else encounter the same problem?
I have Ubuntu 8.04 too. Do you have a X64-Version? Type "uname -a" to find out which version you have.

The Silent One
Graphics

#69 Post by The Silent One »

kroddn wrote:You will have to install python2.4[...]
Thanks kroddn, that fixed it... python must have been lost/upgraded during the update to 8.04 because before that I wasn't having trouble.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Laryllan
Space Krill

#70 Post by Laryllan »

Yes, I do use Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit and yes, python2.4 is already installed.
What can I do, can I try something?

joe_y
Space Krill

#71 Post by joe_y »

Still the same (rev2548 and python2.4).
Sound crickles, game crashes by clicking on a tech button.

I will try to compile it myself (maybe my problems have nothing to do with the satic binary at all) and see if the game still crashes. I'll come back later when I tried this out.

kroddn
Static Linker

#72 Post by kroddn »

64-Bit-OS have problems with graphviz in my static binary - there are some modules which the game loads, and these are expected to be compatible with the 32bit binary. On 64Bit-Systems they aren't.

As soon as I get a 64 Bit Ubuntu run on my machine, I will trace down the problem. People will have to use an own built until I did that.

But you may be able to help me finding out which problem occurs by doint an strace:

strace -f -o /tmp/strace /usr/local/games/freeorion/freeorion
(or replace /usr/local/games/freeorion/freeorion with the position of your application)
Then send me /tmp/strace or attach this file here. Please do not post the contents of that file here!

If strace is not installed, do

sudo apt-get install strace
Laryllan wrote:Yes, I do use Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit and yes, python2.4 is already installed.
What can I do, can I try something?
You do NOT have python2.4, or the errormessage above would not appear. Please make sure to install Python 2.4, and not 2.5 or 2.6 (although these can be installed parallel).

derAua
Space Krill

#73 Post by derAua »

Hi I downloaded your latest.tar.gz and used setup to install it. Now when I start it, all I get is "missing file" graphics in the menu and everywhere. I use ubuntu 7.10 and have installed python.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#74 Post by Geoff the Medio »

derAua wrote:Hi I downloaded your latest.tar.gz and used setup to install it. Now when I start it, all I get is "missing file" graphics in the menu and everywhere. I use ubuntu 7.10 and have installed python.
If you had a previous install of FreeOrion at a different location which has since been deleted, you might have an old config.xml that points to the old data directory that has been deleted, leading to the updated data files not being found. If this is the case, delete your config.xml (I'm not sure where it's kept on linux) and try again.

kroddn
Static Linker

#75 Post by kroddn »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
derAua wrote:Hi I downloaded your latest.tar.gz and used setup to install it. Now when I start it, all I get is "missing file" graphics in the menu and everywhere. I use ubuntu 7.10 and have installed python.
If you had a previous install of FreeOrion at a different location which has since been deleted, you might have an old config.xml that points to the old data directory that has been deleted, leading to the updated data files not being found. If this is the case, delete your config.xml (I'm not sure where it's kept on linux) and try again.
No, thats almost impossible, as I wrote a wrapper which always sets the datadir to the one beyond the installation-directory. And there are no graphics in the menu I think...

@derAua: how do you start the game? With entries from the menu, or from a command line. If the latter, do you have output from the programs? Or did you change to another language?