Hangs up on galaxy creation

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

nutwing
Space Krill

Hangs up on galaxy creation

#1 Post by nutwing »

Interested in getting involved in the project, I downloaded and attempted to run 3.13rev3094. I'm running OSX 10.4, and I saw the note about needing to download more than one thing from sourceforge, which I thought I did: One that was the application and then one that seemed to just be a data folder.

Anyway, it starts up fine but then if I try to start a game (of any sort) it shows the loading screen and just stays there indefinitely. Or 30+ min anyway, I usually force quit at that point.

So if you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate the help, I'd like to see where things are at!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Hangs up on galaxy creation

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Which note about downloading more than one thing are you referring to? I didn't make the OSX download so I'm not familiar with how one installs it, but I would have thought you'd just need the one file for v0.3.13 that's on sourceforge...

Regardless, to help diagnose your problem, could you please locate the folder

Username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion/

and reply with the .log files in that folder attached, preferably zipped.

Also, make sure you don't have any weird firewall issues that would interpret interprocess communication that freeorion uses as attempts to access the internet. This is usually on an issue on windows, but it could possibly be relevant to OSX, so I thought I should mention it.

nutwing
Space Krill

#3 Post by nutwing »

Here's the logs.

Yeah it looks like the two things is just for the source i.e. the code and the art/sound are in different downloads, so never mind about that.

As for the firewall issue, it's not showing up on the log so if it is getting blocked it's something more obscure....
Attachments
FOlogs.zip
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

From your logs, it looks like you went into the multiplayer setup screen, then exited without trying to start a game. Could you run freeorion, try to start a single player game with one AI and a 10 star galaxy, and post the resulting logs after that? No need to let it sit for more than a minute at "Generating Universe and AIs", which I assume is what you mean by "loading screen", so kill the process if it hangs there too long.

Or am I not understanding your problem...?

nutwing
Space Krill

#5 Post by nutwing »

Sorry, didn't realize that was that was the last thing I did.....

But yeah "Generating galaxy and AIs" is what I meant by loading screen, though those are clearly not the same.

Another issue I'm having, the mouse cursor only seems to move if I hold down the lmb, which makes selecting the desired options.... interesting... is that something you know anything about, or should I bring that over to the OSX version dev thread?
Attachments
Archive.zip
(3.98 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are there no AI log files from after running the test? (If so, please post them as well). I'm guessing they aren't there though, since the server seems to be stuck waiting for players to join, and I'm guessing its due to problems with the AI not starting properly. I'm not sure why that would be...

Could you also try starting a game with no AI players?

I don't think I've heard about the cursor not moving except when holding the left mouse button before...

nutwing
Space Krill

#7 Post by nutwing »

Not having any AI seemed to 'solve' the problem, and it started up without any trouble, and I played through a couple turns without incident. Of course, you can't really play it without AI but at least it works.... also the mouse issue seems a little more nuanced (and annoying). I'll take this over to the mac dev forum though. Thanks for the help!

.Id
Space Squid

#8 Post by .Id »

Sorry to say that I can't reproduce either problems myself.

The mouse focus issue is similar to an old bug in OGRE specifically under the Carbon framework and inside fullscreen. It was resolved by switching to Cocoa, but maybe it's still work asking: are you running the game in fullscreen?

I agree that the infinite loop on new game creation is due to the AI client not starting. Error logs for the AI client actually seem to be placed in the root directory of the filesystem named like:

AI_1error.txt
AI_2error.txt
AI_3error.txt

Do you have those?

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The left mouse button issue seems to be the same as discussed here:
http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/index ... ml#msg5821

.Id
Space Squid

#10 Post by .Id »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The left mouse button issue seems to be the same as discussed here:
http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/index ... ml#msg5821
The last poster in that thread has a more specific description in the OGRE forums:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48056

nutwing's issue is the same if both
1) He was running in fullscreen.
2) FreeOrion was running as a Carbon application.

We don't know if #1 is true yet, but #2 should be false. FreeOrion starts as a Cocoa application (the purpose of chmain.mm).

The switch from Carbon to Cocoa fixed this problem for me on OS X 10.5. It's a guess that maybe there's a different bug w/ OGRE/Cocoa in 10.4. The one OGRE team member did say he saw "weird things" with Cocoa in fullscreen, which isn't reassuring.