Why do I need to connect to a server to play singleplayer?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Lynx Amurie
Space Krill

Why do I need to connect to a server to play singleplayer?

#1 Post by Lynx Amurie »

Seriously. This is EA levels of DRM bullshit. And FreeOrion is free. I'm sure there's a post in information somewhere that 'X server is down, but it'll be up in like an hour because someone dun goofed', but seriously. EA levels of DRM bullshit.

/end rant

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Why do I need to connect to a server to play singleplaye

#2 Post by eleazar »

I get that error occasionally, and i'm not sure what causes it.

But it's not what you think. When you are playing single-player, i believe, the "server" is running on your computer too. It's just a difference process that handles the same sort of stuff that the server would if you were playing multi-player.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In single player, the server does indeed run in a separate process on the same computer. Each AI player also has its own process. Interprocess communication is used to transfer information between the client and server, which sometimes fails to set itself up correctly. Usually trying again, or quitting and restarting the program, will get it to work. No information is sent over a network, and no connection to the internet is required to play FreeOrion single player, although your firewall might complain if it thinks connecting to localhost involves internet access.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

In my experience, just trying again-- without quitting the program-- almost always works the second time.

steveadams14
Space Krill

#5 Post by steveadams14 »

I am having the same problem, tried what you guys said several times, any thoughts?

Panpiper
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by Panpiper »

eleazar wrote:In my experience, just trying again-- without quitting the program-- almost always works the second time.
In my experience, trying again and again and again, never works. Ever.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Panpiper wrote:In my experience, trying again and again and again, never works. Ever.
Do you mean in general, or for this issue? In specific case of infrequent (on a particular computer) errors about being unable to contact the server when starting a single player FreeOrion game, it does work quite often.

Steaker
Space Floater

#8 Post by Steaker »

I had this problem a few times on my old, slow Vista machine
Doesn't happen on my faster, newer Win7 laptop
I wonder whether one process times out waiting for another to start, or something?
--Steaker--