Up-to-date FreeOrion Mac-SDK and build - Test please!

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

night
Space Kraken

Re: Up-to-date FreeOrion Mac-SDK and build - Test please!

#46 Post by night »

Overwriting the old file in the Dropbox every week would always generate the same link so I could put the link into every update post and would not have to change the link in the first post. That's probably the best solution.

I thought of maybe providing delta updates for the bundle in the future...

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#47 Post by eleazar »

I wonder if we should be more aggressive in putting binaries on sourceforge:

i.e. continue with major point "stable" upgrades, like 0.3.17,

but also upload "unstable" binaries that haven't been thoroughly tested like night's and pd's more frequent builds.

At the very least the wiki could provide more obvious links to these more regular binaries.

neuro
Space Squid

#48 Post by neuro »

Ah, I see the link now. Thanks.

night
Space Kraken

#49 Post by night »

I updated the app to SVN r4428. You can get it here. Have fun!

night
Space Kraken

#50 Post by night »

I updated the app to SVN r4448. You can get it here. Have fun!

night
Space Kraken

#51 Post by night »

I updated the app to SVN r4468. You can get it here. Have fun!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#52 Post by Vezzra »

night wrote: So I tried my best to make a nice clean new SDK. Since I am running Snow Leopard and Xcode 4 I do not know if the new SDK would also work on machines with Xcode 3 or any previous version of OS X. I would like to ask you to test and report how it's (not) performing on your machines - or if you have any suggestions, please tell me.
Well, I'm on OS X 10.6 and working with Xcode3. I'm happy to report that your SDK works with Xcode3, although I had to struggle with some issues before I finally managed a successful build. More detailed information can be found in this thread. My "report#5" there shoud be specifically interesting to you - maybe you can incorporate my changes in your SDK (if you haven't already fixed them yourself) :)

night
Space Kraken

#53 Post by night »

Sorry, but I did not have much time for working on the SDK in the last weeks. This probably won't change until mid-December. The update of the Boost headers and libs is overdue and old files have to be removed / new files have to be added to the project. Also it would be nice if the FO source code would work with Apple's new LLVM 3.0 compiler (currently it fails cause of the Adam and Eve libs from Adobe in GG). The Python problems also have to be fixed. I'll try to fix all this stuff as soon as I can but I cannot promise anything.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#54 Post by Geoff the Medio »

night wrote:(currently it fails cause of the Adam and Eve libs from Adobe in GG).
AFAIK the Adam and Eve stuff aren't needed for FreeOrion, so the easiest thing for them would probably be to just omit them from the GiGi build. (Not that that magically gives night any free time in the next few weeks...)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#55 Post by Vezzra »

As night seems to be busy right now and I finally managed to build FO 4471 in my attempts to set up a working dev environment for FO on my Mac, I thought I'll make this build available here (as it's a bit more recent than the latest build night posted). It should work for 10.6 and 10.7 (although being on 10.6 myself I can't test the latter).

You can get it HERE. EDIT: Download no longer available.

I'm going to try to build rev 4502 next, but that looks like some (or lot of) work, if I get it to work at all. In case of success, I'll post the build in this thread, and will then *try* to keep up with new builds until night can take over again.

Can't make any promises though, as I'm quite busy myself and also absolutely new to the project...
Last edited by Vezzra on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#56 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, here is a new FO build for OS X 10.6+: EDIT: I had to clean out my dropbox a bit, so I had to delete this build. It's no longer available for download.

This one was actually sort of painful. I had to fix a lot of stuff and battle with some rather strange build issues, but here we are.

However, this build seems to be not very usable. Apparently, there are several things broken, I guess there is a lot of work in progress going on right now. Nevertheless, for testing purposes it should serve quite well.

Have fun ;)
Last edited by Vezzra on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio

#57 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:This one was actually sort of painful. I had to fix a lot of stuff and battle with some rather strange build issues, but here we are.
There are similar issues on Windows. It seems to have started with the new content parser... Could you elaborate on the problems you had, and what needed to be done to fix them? Is a new SDK needed for the build to work? Or just new XCode project files? If you could upload those, that would be appreciated, and I can probably add them to SVN.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#58 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There are similar issues on Windows. It seems to have started with the new content parser... Could you elaborate on the problems you had, and what needed to be done to fix them? Is a new SDK needed for the build to work? Or just new XCode project files? If you could upload those, that would be appreciated, and I can probably add them to SVN.
Yep, the new content parser definitely seems to be the culprit here. I've posted a more detailed description in this thread.

It can't hurt to repeat my points here (and actually expand on them):

No, it's not just the Xcode project file that needs updating, the SDK needs to be updated too. Apparently the boost version included in the SDK is out of date, I had to build boost 1.47 for OS X and get this architecture thing right. As I don't know which boost libraries are needed for 4502, I copied all of them to the SDK, save the math libs, because they didn't build successfully. Fortunately they don't seem to be needed... :mrgreen:

I had to fix a compiler error in empire.h (patch file attached), I hope I got that fix right.

And most importantly: I could not just build the project, the build process got stuck at one of the source files. I could only narrow it down to the files belonging to the new content parser, I solved that by manually compiling each of them seperately. That way I was finally able to successfully build the project.

A lot of files have been moved and added, this needed to be updated in the Xcode project file. Another problem was that apparently now some of the GG adobe libraries are used, which wasn't the case before. My skills are too limited to find out exactly which ones of them, so I simply added the entire adobe source files to the build, save the adam and eve and dependent parts (as they were throwing build errors I'm way out of my league to fix...). That of course resulted in much larger executeables (~700MB each). Well, I was happy to get a successfull build at all.

All that was quite a challenge for me, as I'm still very new to the Mac platform, programming under OS X, and C++. Well, I'm learning new things at a very fast pace at the moment this way ;).

However, I had to play around with the project file a lot, and given my inexperience with Xcode and C++ I hope I didn't mess up anything. Nevertheless I zipped it up and attached it. The boost libraries are a different matter - I think they are too big to attach them to a forum post. I can upload them to my dropbox and provide the links here, and everyone who wants to use them can update his or her SDK.

Alternatively I can try to build a new version of the Mac SDK out of the dev environment I've set up on my Mac. For that however I need a few pointers, because obviously I can't just simply zip the whole project tree, that would result in an unnecessary big file. The SDK I downloaded was stripped down to the bare minimum, you'd have to tell me how to do that.

So, what do you want me to do? :D

Hopefully I didn't forget something important...

EDIT: Oooops, I got the size of the executables wrong. They are 360-390MB each, not 700MB... that would have been a bit much... :lol:
Attachments
FreeOrion.xcodeproj.zip
Updated Xcode project file
(162.84 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Vezzra on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio

#59 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:As I don't know which boost libraries are needed for 4502
On windows, FreeOrion uses the following (in addition to header-only libs):
date_time
filesystem
python
regex
serialization
signals
system
thread

Can you just check what's in the older SDK?
Another problem was that apparently now some of the GG adobe libraries are used, which wasn't the case before. My skills are too limited to find out exactly which ones of them...
On Windows I needed name.cpp, memory.cpp, and string_pool.cpp.
The SDK I downloaded was stripped down to the bare minimum, you'd have to tell me how to do that.
I think you just need the .svn directory and its contents in the root FreeOrion directory. Check what's in the old SDK; it probably just has what's necessary. You definitely don't need the whole code and default directories.

night
Space Kraken

#60 Post by night »

Nice you got it working :D
We are kind of in the same situation. My skills in C++ are limited too and I am also relatively new to Mac development. I would not say that I do not know what I am doing, but most time my strategy is trial and error. :) The SDK basically is the Xcode folder with all the dependencies in it and some svn stuff, so you can just use svn update to get your development environment up and running.

Currently I am evaluating Git as a version control system for the mac builds. The main reason for that its, that you then can easily clone/download the entire repo with all of its history to your hard drive without needing to download a SDK first. Features like the new editor of Xcode 4 which allows you to compare the current file against any other revision work a lot faster, too.
You can have a look at the experimental repo here.
Could you tell me which compiler you are using for your build?