Observations on v0.4 RC3

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Re: Observations on v0.4 RC3

#16 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Phew...finally glad we got that resolved....

Maybe some of my other points that are worth interest could be addressed by the developers for .5.

Adrian
Space Floater

#17 Post by Adrian »

Dart00_Tech wrote:
  • Say we have a fleet of Colony ships to colonize a system, we click a Colony Ship and click "Colonize", could it "De-select" the now "Unavailable" colony ship so we can click on our next one instead of having to De-select it, this doubles the amount of clicks to colonize a system.
  • On the "Design" screen, when we save a modified design, could it "overwrite" the current design instead of making a new design with the same name? Or could we have a option to "Overwrite"?!
I (not a coder on the project) imagine these two wouldn't be too hard to implement, i hope someone can look into them; they're frequently encountered in casual gameplay, at least for me.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#18 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Adrian wrote:
Dart00_Tech wrote:
  • Say we have a fleet of Colony ships to colonize a system, we click a Colony Ship and click "Colonize", could it "De-select" the now "Unavailable" colony ship so we can click on our next one instead of having to De-select it, this doubles the amount of clicks to colonize a system.
  • On the "Design" screen, when we save a modified design, could it "overwrite" the current design instead of making a new design with the same name? Or could we have a option to "Overwrite"?!
I (not a coder on the project) imagine these two wouldn't be too hard to implement, i hope someone can look into them; they're frequently encountered in casual gameplay, at least for me.
One time i was quickly making a few designs and realized that i was deleting the ones i just created...ugh....

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#19 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:One time i was quickly making a few designs and realized that i was deleting the ones i just created...ugh....
? As far as I know, the only way to delete a ship design is to right-click on it and select "Delete Design".
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by eleazar »

Yeah, if you don't change the name it will create multiple ship designs of the same name.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#21 Post by Dart00_Tech »

eleazar wrote:Yeah, if you don't change the name it will create multiple ship designs of the same name.
Which is very annoying if you just trying to upgrade all your designs defense grids or such. The clicking is insane and time consuming, esp if you have a lot of designs.

Step 1: Open Design for editing - 2 clicks
Step 2: Drag and drop new Item: - 1 click to 15 depending on how many slots you wana change
Step 3: Confirm Design - 1 Click
Step 4: Delete obsolete design with same name - 2 clicks
Total clicks: 6 - 20
Designs: 8
Clicks at best: 48 clicks
Clicks at worst: 160 clicks.

=== THIS IS JUST IF YOU HAVE 8 DESIGNS ===

If we could just overwrite the design or have some type of master "Optimize Weaponry" Button which would update everything of that "class" of part it would save so much time and clicking.

eleazar

#22 Post by eleazar »

Dart00_Tech wrote:
=== THIS IS JUST IF YOU HAVE 8 DESIGNS ===
Yeah i agree it would be nice to have some sort of automatic upgrading where applicable.

But i'm curious about the amount of ship designs you have at the same time. Do you really think it is useful to have more than 8? Not counting things like colony/outpost ships which would not frequently be updated.
I wouldn't have thought the game currently has that many ship niches.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#23 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:Step 2: Drag and drop new Item: - 1 click to 15 depending on how many slots you wana change
Geoff the Medio wrote:Made automatically adding parts to ship designs more flexible; parts will be moved around to accomodate the new one, if possible and necessary.
This reminds me though - didn't Geoff say that weapons refinements could be implemented with effects? If we can, that would probably be better than unlocking a new part with every refinement.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:didn't Geoff say that weapons refinements could be implemented with effects?
That's how it's supposed to work, but I think currently most ship part properties are gotten from their stats as written with = in their definition, and any effects modifying those meters would probably be ignored.

salimiles
Space Krill

#25 Post by salimiles »

If we could just overwrite the design or have some type of master "Optimize Weaponry" Button which would update everything of that "class" of part it would save so much time and clicking.
How about in the ship design, an "Automatically Upgrade" box. Which, when ticked would:
1) replace weapons and internals as they come available
2) save the new designs (but with an incremented number)

This might also be useful for the AI, as this would be a way for the computer to automatically generate advanced ship designs from basic templates.

An argument against this is it might defeat the reason behind having the ship-design screen.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#26 Post by Dart00_Tech »

salimiles wrote:
An argument against this is it might defeat the reason behind having the ship-design screen.
Nah...making non template custom designs is part of the fun...just keeping them up-to-date is not....

Zireael
Space Dragon

#27 Post by Zireael »

Salimiles has a good idea.

One more idea: disable autosave by default. Irks me to have to turn it off every time I install FO...

Adrian
Space Floater

#28 Post by Adrian »

^ Signed (or at least set it to 50). There are so many little annoyances that the long term developers no longer see i think; i don't blame them of course.

eleazar

#29 Post by eleazar »

Adrian wrote:...There are so many little annoyances that the long term developers no longer see i think; i don't blame them of course.
Annoyances are somewhat in the eye of the beholder.

But beyond differences of opinion, there are some things we no longer see from long acclimation to the game. Anyone is of course welcome to point out whatever flaws and gaps they see. But understand that development isn't really in a polishing, click-optimizing mode. Most of development focus is going to be on fixing the big holes.

Of course patches and improved documentation from the FO community are encouraged.

Adrian
Space Floater

#30 Post by Adrian »

Ok, i understand. I still find several hundred MB per game a bit hefty; from a developmental point of view i admit, it's irrelevant of course :o