Notes on rev 4851

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Notes on rev 4851

#1 Post by Zireael »

1) Can't invade enemy planets. I select troop ships, but there's no 'invade' button.
2) Came across an enemy planet with a detection of 10k. Dafuq? EDIT: Damn. Super Testers strike.
3) Empire meters. Where are they? I can't for the life of me work out why my population sometimes rises and sometimes falls.

-----------------------
On plus side: LOVE the new specials connected to growth. Brilliant!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Notes on rev 4851

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:1) Can't invade enemy planets. I select troop ships, but there's no 'invade' button.
Knock down planet shields first.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Zireael »

Right, that's it. Another thing to add to the guide when I have enough free time (I should be studying philosophy for an exam on Monday).

More nitpicks:
1) lots and lots of gas giants and asteroid belts. Sometimes (in a 60 star galaxy) I think nearly half of all planets is them.
2) lots of specials on those gas giants (kraken nest, for example)
3) terraforming showing up on building list when asteroid belt is selected

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:More nitpicks:
2) lots of specials on those gas giants (kraken nest, for example)
3) terraforming showing up on building list when asteroid belt is selected
#2 Kraken nests are supposed to be on gas giants. Other useless specials on GGs were removed yesterday.

#3 Good catch. Fixed revision 4866
"disabled terraforming on asteroids and gas giants"

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#5 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Zireael wrote:3) Empire meters. Where are they? I can't for the life of me work out why my population sometimes rises and sometimes falls.
The population stat on the top bar is just the sum of all planetary changes, and has nothing to do with empire meters (though empire detection probably should be up on the top bar anyway).
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#6 Post by Zireael »

1) outposts are smaller than colonies. Yet, a colony ship requires a pop between 1 and 999 and an outpost ship requires pop between 3 and 999. Thus, I can build colony ships on a planet with a pop of 2, but not outpost ships.

2) a way to set the stars/deep space ratio in universe generation would be nice

3) a way to tell that these natives cannot build colony ships (I ran into the problem with Abaddon...somethings)

4) maybe an ability to eradicate the pop of the captured planet and put own species in their place?

EDIT: 5) unused resources - above a cap set by the player - transformed into Trade/Influence

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:1) outposts are smaller than colonies. Yet, a colony ship requires a pop between 1 and 999 and an outpost ship requires pop between 3 and 999. Thus, I can build colony ships on a planet with a pop of 2, but not outpost ships.
Fixed revision 4881 "equalized population requirements of colony and outposts."
Zireael wrote:3) a way to tell that these natives cannot build colony ships (I ran into the problem with Abaddon...somethings)
Check the pedia to see what minor species can do. Abaddonni can build colony ships, so you must be missing another requirement, such as shipyards.
Zireael wrote:4) maybe an ability to eradicate the pop of the captured planet and put own species in their place?
The concentration camp is supposed to do that i think.
Zireael wrote:EDIT: 5) unused resources - above a cap set by the player - transformed into Trade/Influence
Since trade/influence doesn't have any role in the game yet, to add that now would hurt the player.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Zireael »

Re: 5 - well, the player could set the cap unfathomably high for now, but I'd like the function to be available.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#9 Post by Zireael »

One more thing.

1) Unhabitable planets have a max pop of 2 and hostile planets have a max pop of 1.sth. I'm mid-game, but I think I have discovered all techs related to population. Still, the numbers are weird - why do unhabitable planets have a better pop than hostile ones?

EDIT: Large adequate and large poor planets have the same max pop. Weird, weird, weird.

EDIT 2: And asteroids have a pop of 5! What's goin' on?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#10 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Probably because techs related to growth are being revised at the moment, and there are some effectsgroups acting on asteroids and gas giants that probably shouldn't be (or perhaps another solution would be to simply make the base population for those planet types more negative).
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.