Pyhton module initializations

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

cazfi
Space Floater

Pyhton module initializations

#1 Post by cazfi »

FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp: In constructor 'PythonAI::PythonAI()':
FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp:195:29: error: 'initfreeOrionLogger' was not declared in this scope
FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp:196:34: error: 'initfreeOrionAIInterface' was not declared in this scope

initXXX() are supposed to be provided by BOOST_PYTHON_MODULE(). I'm guessing here, but I think it has been changed to provide PyInit_XXX() instead in new versions (as I managed to get compiler errors from such a function after doing some modifications). Googling for examples also reveals that while everyone says that BOOST_PYTHON_MODULE() does define initXXX() those examples never explicitly call it. I cannot find definitive documentation, but it seems that initXXX() functions are just internal detail of handling these modules one is not supposed to call.

However, after I had just removed those lines compilation still failed due to another problem in same module, so I cannot say if their removal fixes or breaks things.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Pyhton module initializations

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Use Boost 1.47 and things should work. Otherwise, you're on your own until FO updates the supported versions.

hasufell
Space Krill

#3 Post by hasufell »

I don't think that this is related to boost, it is rather related to the user having python-3 active, at least I can perfectly reproduce the error messages with this:

Code: Select all

make -f client/human/CMakeFiles/freeorion.dir/build.make client/human/CMakeFiles/freeorion.dir/depend
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build'
cd /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build && /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_depends "Unix Makefiles" /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion/client/human /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build/client/human /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build/client/human/CMakeFiles/freeorion.dir/DependInfo.cmake --color=
Dependee "/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build/client/human/CMakeFiles/freeorion.dir/DependInfo.cmake" is newer than depender "/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build/client/human/CMakeFiles/freeorion.dir/depend.internal".
Dependee "/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build/client/human/CMakeFiles/CMakeDirectoryInformation.cmake" is newer than depender "/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build/client/human/CMakeFiles/freeorion.dir/depend.internal".
[35m[1mScanning dependencies of target freeorion
In file included from /usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp:50:0,
                 from /usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/python/detail/prefix.hpp:13,
                 from /usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/python/args.hpp:8,
                 from /usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/python.hpp:11,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.h:3,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp:1:
/usr/include/python3.2/pyconfig.h:1182:0: warning: "_POSIX_C_SOURCE" redefined
/usr/include/features.h:164:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/include/python3.2/pyconfig.h:1204:0: warning: "_XOPEN_SOURCE" redefined
/usr/include/features.h:166:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp: In constructor ‘PythonAI::PythonAI()’:
/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp:195:29: error: ‘initfreeOrionLogger’ was not declared in this scope
/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/FreeOrion/AI/PythonAI.cpp:196:34: error: ‘initfreeOrionAIInterface’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/system/error_code.hpp: At global scope:
/usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/system/error_code.hpp:214:35: warning: ‘boost::system::posix_category’ defined but not used
/usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/system/error_code.hpp:215:35: warning: ‘boost::system::errno_ecat’ defined but not used
/usr/include/boost-1_48/boost/system/error_code.hpp:216:35: warning: ‘boost::system::native_ecat’ defined but not used
make[2]: *** [client/AI/CMakeFiles/freeorionca.dir/__/__/AI/PythonAI.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890/work/freeorion-0.3.17_p4890_build'
make[1]: *** [client/AI/CMakeFiles/freeorionca.dir/all] Error 2
make sure you have python-2 active/installed/however you do that on your distro

This is a bug in the build system actually (which uses FindPythonLibs.cmake module). It should not allow the user to build with unsupported versions and give a meaningful error message.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

hasufell wrote:This is a bug in the build system actually (which uses FindPythonLibs.cmake module). It should not allow the user to build with unsupported versions and give a meaningful error message.
Can you suggest modifications to /client/AI/CMakeLists.txt that would restrict it to only accepting Python 2.x?

find_package(PythonLibs)
if (PYTHONLIBS_FOUND)
    include_directories(${PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH})
else ()
    message(FATAL_ERROR " library not found.")
endif ()

hasufell
Space Krill

#5 Post by hasufell »

--- client/AI/CMakeLists.txt
+++ client/AI/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -33,6 +33,20 @@
 find_package(PythonLibs)
 if (PYTHONLIBS_FOUND)
     include_directories(${PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH})
+    SET(_VERSION_REGEX
+      "^#define[ \t]+PY([A-Z_]*_VERSION)[ \t]+[\"]*([0-9A-Za-z\\.]+)[\"]*[ \t]*$")
+    FILE(STRINGS "${PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR}/patchlevel.h" _VERSION_STRINGS
+       LIMIT_COUNT 10 REGEX ${_VERSION_REGEX})
+    FOREACH(_VERSION_STRING ${_VERSION_STRINGS})
+        STRING(REGEX REPLACE ${_VERSION_REGEX} "PYTHON\\1"
+           _VERSION_VARIABLE "${_VERSION_STRING}")
+        STRING(REGEX REPLACE ${_VERSION_REGEX} "\\2"
+           _VERSION_NUMBER "${_VERSION_STRING}")
+        SET(${_VERSION_VARIABLE} ${_VERSION_NUMBER})
+    ENDFOREACH(_VERSION_STRING ${_VERSION_STRINGS})
+    IF(PYTHON_MAJOR_VERSION EQUAL 3)
+        MESSAGE(FATAL_ERROR "Python 3 is not supported!")
+    ENDIF()
 else ()
     message(FATAL_ERROR " library not found.")
 endif ()
tested it and seems to work (on Linux). Code taken from http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/20 ... 45292.html

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What does it do, exactly? Find the python version for the specific python include directory, or of an include directory found on the system? That is, does specifying a particular location for python 2.7 make it work even if more than one version is installed?

hasufell
Space Krill

#7 Post by hasufell »

+# look in PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR for patchlevel.h, which contains the
+# version number macros in all versions of python from 1.5 through
+# at least version 3.2, and set these vars: PYTHON_VERSION,
+# PYTHON_MAJOR_VERSION, PYTHON_MINOR_VERSION, PYTHON_MICRO_VERSION.
where PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR is simply the one found by the cmake module "FindPythonLibs" which is already used in your code

cazfi
Space Floater

#8 Post by cazfi »

The change made here just added more meaningful error message (that "python3 is not supported") but the error remains that when have several python versions installed, find_package() may find python3 and consequently leads to this error though python2 is available. It should be simply matter of specifying version 2 (and not default "any") for find_package(). I'm testing this.

cazfi
Space Floater

#9 Post by cazfi »

With the attached patch I finally got compilation to pass on system with python3 as preferred python version (while still having python2 available)
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Presumably the error message should say something about Python 2.x not being found, rather than just Python not found, since it will reject Python 3.x ?

And did you test that it actually builds and runs when configuring after that change when python 3 is present?

hasufell
Space Krill

#11 Post by hasufell »

nice, I didn't even know the module takes a version argument

I will test it shortly too

cazfi
Space Floater

#12 Post by cazfi »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Presumably the error message should say something about Python 2.x not being found, rather than just Python not found, since it will reject Python 3.x ?
Yes, that occurred to me too, but only after I had already sent the patch.
Geoff the Medio wrote:And did you test that it actually builds and runs when configuring after that change when python 3 is present?
Yes. I have python2.6, python2.7, and python3.2 present in this system. Without the patch it aborts with "python3 not supported" message. With the patch it builds, and game launches.

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

cazfi wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Presumably the error message should say something about Python 2.x not being found, rather than just Python not found, since it will reject Python 3.x ?
Could you update accordingly and re-attach?

cazfi
Space Floater

#14 Post by cazfi »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
cazfi wrote:
Could you update accordingly and re-attach?
Here
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Thanks. I'll commit that later when I have a chance, unless someone else want to do so before I can.