Issues in 0.4.1 RC 2

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Issues in 0.4 RC 2

#16 Post by eleazar »

Vezzra wrote:Apparently the size of the thumbnail images in the finished designs list is not the same for predefined and player defined designs for the basic small hull type. I didn't check this for other hull types, maybe this applies to them as well.
Yeah, i happens for all hulls.
There's a big and small image for each ship hull. My intention is that the big image only be used where you have the slots, and small images would be used everywhere else (fleet panel and hull/design selectors). The two images have a different amount of blank space around them in the case of the small hull, but in the case of the basic hulls are not otherwise very different.

For whatever reason, the big image is used for player-made designs, while the pre-made designs use the small one. The scripting is the same-- images are only defined in the hull, not the pre-made design.

Vezzra wrote:We have several techs in the tech tree that enhance detection range, however, I didn't see any that increase detection strength. Apparently there haven't been added respective techs after the detection mechanics had been changed. This is a problem, as there is currently no way to ever detect universe objects who's stealth is greater than your default detection strength.[/list]
Hmm, now that mention it, i don't thing detection strength is referenced anywhere in the game. I don't know how to script for it.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:...i don't thing detection strength is referenced anywhere in the game. I don't know how to script for it.
It's an empire meter, set with the SetEmpireMeter effect, as in

Code: Select all

effects = SetEmpireMeter Source.Owner "METER_DETECTION" 50

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#18 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I updated the current techs a while back to increase empire detection strength, though may have neglected to update the stringtable entries. A more pressing need is for the player to actually be able to see the value of his empire meters.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:A more pressing need is for the player to actually be able to see the value of his empire meters.
They're shown in the encyclopedia entry for the player's empire. Not ideal, but there.

Sai
Pupating Mass

#20 Post by Sai »

I assume the green (PASSED) thing in the hover-over description is unintentional. The tips seemed like they were missing something and that this PASSED should have been filled in with something else instead.

And I do not wish to see other windows, but being able to occasionally alt-tab is nice, not sure if this is supported functionality though?

Is there an economy model yet? I played into several hundred turns so far, but there really do not seem to be any 'decisions' to be made.

PS. I am currently uncertain as to how to attack enemy players.
Last edited by Sai on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

Bigjoe5 wrote:I updated the current techs a while back to increase empire detection strength, though may have neglected to update the stringtable entries...
So if I understand correctly, each tech that gives an increase to detection range also boosts detection strength?

Geoff the Medio

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sai wrote:I assume the green (PASSED) thing in the hover-over description is unintentional.
??? It's not there by accident...
The tips seemed like they were missing something and that this PASSED should have been filled in with something else instead.
Missing what / filled in with what else? Why do they seem like something's missing?
And I do not wish to see other windows, but being able to occasionally alt-tab is nice...
If not other windows, then what do you want to alt-tab to?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#23 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Vezzra wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote:I updated the current techs a while back to increase empire detection strength, though may have neglected to update the stringtable entries...
So if I understand correctly, each tech that gives an increase to detection range also boosts detection strength?
Correct. I've updated the stringtable with this information.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar

#24 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote:A more pressing need is for the player to actually be able to see the value of his empire meters.
They're shown in the encyclopedia entry for the player's empire. Not ideal, but there.
I think it is important enough to go in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Sai wrote:Is there an economy model yet? I played into several hundred turns so far, but there really do not seem to be any 'decisions' to be made.
No, not yet.
Sai wrote:PS. I am currently uncertain as to how to attack enemy players.
Right click on the empire name in the "empires" floating window.

Sai
Pupating Mass

#25 Post by Sai »

Ahhh, so it's not a tooltip at all, it's whether you passed the conditions for it. It read as such weird English, lack of punctuation and capitalization and all - it made very little sense to me :P

BWGIA
Space Krill

#26 Post by BWGIA »

I was all set to report the bug that outposts were 0 population...

Really, what was wrong with outposts eventually becoming a colony? OK I do get the "swarming" strategy, but the way I see it, if it takes longer to grow an outpost to population 1 than it would to build a colony ship, there's some strategic issues to consider. Especially now that industry and research bonuses seem tied to pop levels, and not just a raw +5.

If you want to balance it better, what about these options alone or in combo?

1. Outpost ships take more time and resources to build, (than currently I mean, can still be a bit less than colony ships) easily explained, since basic life supports will need to be built for 100 or 100,000.

2. Population grows even more slowly at low numbers than currently, 50 turns to get to pop 1? maybe should have built a colony ship if you are after growth.

3. Perhaps some defence or structures could be tied to having a pop of 1 or more, so max troops on an outpost (colony with pop < 1) can only be 5 or 10 at most. No system defence mines, etc. Maybe unless you build a specific structure, like an outpost garrison. If resources and time to build an outpost ship + outpost garrison are both greater than a colony ship, then you must have other strategic reasons to do so besides swarming.

Partly I always thought it would be cool to have a super nasty race/empire that one would supposedly hunt to extinction, but they had a hidden outpost somewhere, and very slowly they come back and 200 turns later are contenders again. In this version you lose that (admittedly tiny) chance.

Any monster nests in this version? that was one of the worst issues in 0.40 for me, it took a min of 20-30 turns to have a chance to domesticate a monster if you went flat out for that goal, and by then 90% of the nests were gone. haven't seen any yet, I'll keep looking.

And thanks for a great game!

Sai
Pupating Mass

#27 Post by Sai »

I am also still unsure how to know when something is at a system after you just got wiped from there (eg. you send a scout to a system with a monster nest, your scout just dies, but the planet is not marked in any way, so if you're adequately big, it's very hard to keep track). Some kind of icon might be nice, or even a sitrep that you didn't just die but what you fought.

Geoff the Medio

#28 Post by Geoff the Medio »

BWGIA wrote:Partly I always thought it would be cool to have a super nasty race/empire that one would supposedly hunt to extinction, but they had a hidden outpost somewhere, and very slowly they come back and 200 turns later are contenders again.
If there is a means for empires to capture a populated planet when they don't have one (leftover ships, or perhaps the ability to produce ships at an outpost, or a to-be-added alternative means of capturing a planet), then your scenario could occur for an empire. For a species, the same thing can happen, as long as there's a populated planet with that species somewhere. It's not technically an "outpost" if it contains the species, but that's not really important for the story of the scenario.

Note that species and empires are independent concepts in FreeOrion.

eleazar

#29 Post by eleazar »

BWGIA wrote:I was all set to report the bug that outposts were 0 population...

Really, what was wrong with outposts eventually becoming a colony?
You can read much of the reasoning in this thread. Make your case there if you want, but i think it is unlikely that outposts will revert.

How would the following be any different from the player's perspective?
"...it would be cool to have a super nasty race/empire that one would supposedly hunt to extinction, but they had a hidden tiny colony somewhere, and very slowly they come back and 200 turns later are contenders again."
In the old version an "outpost" is simply a colony with a different name, founded from a cheaper, lousier part. Now outposts are functionally different, and have unique advantages, such as you can put them where colonies wouldn't survive.
BWGIA wrote:Any monster nests in this version? that was one of the worst issues in 0.40 for me, it took a min of 20-30 turns to have a chance to domesticate a monster if you went flat out for that goal, and by then 90% of the nests were gone. haven't seen any yet, I'll keep looking.
Yes, monster nest still occur, i just saw one. They aren't supposed to be something you can get every time. The intention is that monsters will keep making nests until they are extinct, but the rate probable needs to be tweaked.

Sai wrote:I am also still unsure how to know when something is at a system after you just got wiped from there (eg. you send a scout to a system with a monster nest, your scout just dies, but the planet is not marked in any way, so if you're adequately big, it's very hard to keep track). Some kind of icon might be nice, or even a sitrep that you didn't just die but what you fought.
Research better detectors, or put them on ship in adjacent planets if you want to see what monsters are defeating you. Yeah, i can be easy to forget where the secret dangers lurk. Allowing the player to place (or remove) a variety of flags or markers icon on systems in the galaxy map is a long-intended feature.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#30 Post by Zireael »

Speaking of this long-intended feature, will it ever get done?