0.3 Technology screen and Tech Graphics

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

Re: 0.3 Technology screen and Tech Graphics

#91 Post by The Silent One »

Two ideas here:
- tech icons overlap their panel's borders => larger icons
- stretch progress bar so that it uses more width of the panel; move inwards?

Everything else as in Eleazar's production screen mockup.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#92 Post by eleazar »

The Silent One wrote: Two ideas here:
- tech icons overlap their panel's borders => larger icons
- stretch progress bar so that it uses more width of the panel; move inwards?
I agree with the second one.

Generally IMHO the items in the tech/production queue and in the tech tree should look the same, unless there's a reason to add/change something. Putting the progress bar inside the main box thus makes sense.

The part that i really don't know what to do with is the difference between theories, applications, and refinements. I don't think the current method of changing the corner treatment is nearly obvious enough. Ideally whatever distinguishes them can also be used in the queue.

The idea of changing the making the icons obviously different for each of these categories appeals to me, but i don't have a solid idea as to what the difference would be.

- just to throw the idea out there, in the tree, when you scroll out far enough to make the text illegible, the tree should change to an icon-only format, possibly with progress bars. This would save a lot of horizontal space.

The Silent One
Graphics

#93 Post by The Silent One »

Eleazar wrote:Generally IMHO the items in the tech/production queue and in the tech tree should look the same, unless there's a reason to add/change something. Putting the progress bar inside the main box thus makes sense.
Is there a particular reason why the items of the tech tree should look exactly like the items of the research queue? As long as the tech tree icons are consistent with the overal design, they would better be optimized in regard to legibility, not to size. For instance in my mockup, compare the item on the top of the right row with the item below: #1 is only slighty larger, but much easier on the eye.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#94 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm pondering replacing the text buttons on the tech tree controls with icons. For that, I'd like to request some competent artist renditions of icons for tree view, list view, locked, available, and researched icons, possibly inspired by the attached.
Attachments
possibly icon inspiration
possibly icon inspiration
icons_requested.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 3651 times

adrian_broher
Programmer

#95 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:at, I'd like to request some competent artist renditions of icons for tree view, list view, locked, available, and researched
If this isn't already done I would like to note that your proposed for 'available' isn't self explaining in my opinion.
I assume it is the circle based on exclusion from the other, more obvious icons.
Maybe the idea could be improved if the 'researched' icon (the check) adds the circle into the background if both icons are displayed the same time, so that you can see in this context that some tech is 'done' and some tech isn't 'complete'.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz