List of all space 4X games

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Re: List of all space 4X games

#106 Post by Zanzibar »

Zireael wrote:Anyone knows any good online space strategies? Preferably 4X?
Yes, Sword of the Stars, Complete Collection (and SotS 2 after it gets completely fixed).

Henara
Space Floater

#107 Post by Henara »

Zanzibar how much do they pay you?

What about Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion? From all the games i have taken a look on recently it seems to be the one most promising... anyone got experience with it?

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#108 Post by Moriarty »

Sword of the Stars 2 now has their first expansion - http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sword ... ed-edition
I've now tried the game and its utterly awful. It's still riddled with obvious bugs and there's no sign of any actual fun gameplay anywhere in it. It doesn't help that the UI is atrocious.
Its nice that they're still patching it, but the game is fundamentally flawed IMHO.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Light of Altair yet - http://www.saintxi.com/light-of-altair . Excellent game though maybe not entirely a 4x. Supposedly has a sequel coming out but doesn't look like it's ever going to be finished.

What about Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion? From all the games i have taken a look on recently it seems to be the one most promising... anyone got experience with it?
It plays pretty much the exact same as the previous Sins games. If you liked them you'll like Rebellion, but there doesn't seem to be much new in it.

tingling
Space Krill

#109 Post by tingling »

Hi, I think the other space strategy games list could be updated with a few additions in recent years too.. I guess it's been a while since an update of the list?

Cosmic Supremacy <-- this is my favourite (I'm a player-admin there too).. and have been playing it for the last 3 years.

Status | Name | URL | Platform | Notes
Closed, Noncommercial | Cosmic Supremacy | http://www.cosmicsupremacy.com | PC | TBS, Free

Neptune's Pride <-- I've heard many people say this is easy to pick up, I never did after having tried it, but I think it's something that's worth noting in a list.

Closed, Commercial | Neptune's Pride | http://triton.ironhelmet.com | Browser | TBS, Free To Pay, Pay to create custom galaxies

StarDrive 2 <-- This one I've seen very positive reviews about.. but I haven't been able to bring myself to paying for it :p

Closed, Commercial | StarDrive 2 | http://www.stardrivegame.com | PC | RTS, $30

Nexus
Space Floater

#110 Post by Nexus »

The first 4X game I ever played is an obscure 1992 shareware offering called Stellar Conquest 2469. I am surprised nobody has mentioned it in this thread yet.

It has a number of features that still hold up well today. There's only six or seven fixed ship designs, from cheap, fragile and fast fighters to gigantic slow carriers with huge weaponry. Systems can have different numbers and types of planets, but they're treated as a single system. So a system with a terran planet and a rocky planet would have good population growth and good starship production, but you don't deal with the two planets individually. Every system is inhabited and guarded by its own fleet, and you conquer systems by defeating its fleet.

In most 4X space games, it becomes difficult after a while to keep track of which systems are producing what, making sure no resources go to waste, and that defenses get produced in all the right places. This game solved the issue by dividing a turn into two phases- the first phase is just allocating resources to buying warships or tech points on each planet in turn. The next phase is for launching fleets. It works remarkably well.

Still, Stellar Conquest very primitive by today's standards and riddled with bugs, notably some kind of buffer overrun that would randomly give you thousands and thousands of ships for free.

pheonixstorm
Space Squid

#111 Post by pheonixstorm »

Overlord. Was on PC and one of the Nintendo systems.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#112 Post by labgnome »

I've been dipping into Stellaris, and really liking it. Also FYI: there are a couple of mods that you can use to basically "make" Free Orion in Stellaris. It's not 1-for-1 and not all of the portraites are exactly right, but I've basically re-created all the species except the non-corporeal ones.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.