German Translation

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
shivu

Re: German Translation

#91 Post by shivu »

Vezzra wrote: If I understand correctly, your patch for the German stringtable is based on the English stringtable in trunk. As en.txt in trunk is different from en.txt in the release branch, you'd need to provide a version of de.txt that is in sync with the version of en.txt in the release branch, like Ouaz did for the French stringtable.
I do my patch as follow:
I add to de.txt, SVN7585 (called de7585.txt) which is part of the trunk, the missing strings from en.txt, SVN7608, trunk too and at least en.txt, SVN7629, still trunk. From SVN7629 comes only one string: Monster.
That seems a feasible way to me.

I personally think it is extremely dangerous to follow two parallel lines; the risk of conflicts is too high. But, if the community decided so ... I bow.

I will try to adapt my work to the actual situation, so forget my patch at the moment.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#92 Post by Vezzra »

shivu wrote:I will try to adapt my work to the actual situation, so forget my patch at the moment.
Before you waste too much effort, you might want to wait if another RC build (after RC4) will be necessary. I'm going to start building RC4 any moment now, and if it turns out to be the final 0.4.4 build, there's no point in making a de.txt for the release branch.

shivu

#93 Post by shivu »

Vezzra wrote:Before you waste too much effort, you might want to wait if another RC build (after RC4) will be necessary. I'm going to start building RC4 any moment now, and if it turns out to be the final 0.4.4 build, there's no point in making a de.txt for the release branch.
Don’t worry, I will work basically for the trunk and just see if perhaps it can be used for the release too.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#94 Post by MatGB »

shivu wrote: I personally think it is extremely dangerous to follow two parallel lines; the risk of conflicts is too high. But, if the community decided so ... I bow.
It wasn't really a decision. In all the time I've been involved in the project, I don't recall going above release candidate 2 before. Needing a release candidate 4 is unusual (but it's also a long gap between releases so perhaps understandable).

While many of us have been intensively testing the release candidates, others have gotten on with cleaning up stuff in trunk, things that aren't going to go into this release as we're already delayed. The more delays between an RC becoming a release, the more divergent it becomes, and one of the things that has been done in trunk is a major cleanup of unused functions and similar, but we don't want to put that into release as they're not "bugs" as such, and don't make the experience of playing any worse for the more casual players following the project.

All of us really really hope that RC4 is the final release, one bug has been found, and squashed, nothing else has come up yet. From that point on, we go back to trunk only. And we'll all be very relieved.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#95 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:And we'll all be very relieved.
Oh yes... :mrgreen:

shivu

#96 Post by shivu »

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

This patch belongs to the trunk.
It is made for de.txt (SVN7585).
I add some strings (scout, corvette, frigate and 3 scattered) taken in en.txt (SVN7629) also trunk.
- Can be committed to trunk!

Release Branch:
The added strings are included in en.txt (SVN7640) in release branch.
Same are absolutely not present in de.txt (SVN7605), also release branch. The rest is present but
the wording has been modified.
- Can be applied to release branch.

Spieler :
Für alle die ein bisschen mehr Deutch mögen.
Die beil. Datei kann ohne weiteres (keine Umbenennung) ins Spiel (Windows) eingesetzt werden.
Pfad: ...\FreeOrion\default\stringtables\
de_v2.txt
(322.58 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

adrian_broher
Programmer

#97 Post by adrian_broher »

Klein und billiges Schiff ohne Bewaffnung, entworfen für Aufklärung und Erforschung Zwecke. Weitere Forschungen auf dem Gebiet der [[encyclopedia DETECTION_RANGE_TITLE]] werden zur Verbesserungen des Designs sorgen.
The declension of 'Klein' is wrong, it's 'Kleines'. What is the purpose of the 'Zwecke', did you intend to write 'Aufklärungs- und Forschungszwecke'? 'Design' is a 'Entwurf'. 'werden zur Verbesserung des Designs sorgen' is awkward, 'können diesen Entwurf verbessern' is preferable.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#98 Post by Vezzra »

Klein und billiges Schiff mit Gaußgewehr.
"Gaußgewehr" should be "Gaußgeschütz" (and, as Marcel already mentioned, "Klein" should be "Kleines").

shivu

#99 Post by shivu »

“klein” is wrong, but my German Word doesn’t know it. :?

“Gaussgeschütz”!
Let's take a look at what Wiki says about mass-driver. It’s here.
You get it? Ok, now click on the left to: Language/ Deutsch (no, no link, pls do it).
So witch name? Rifle, gun, “Kanone”…
Now compare again with the English version. Click again English. Interesting!
My favourite would be “elektromagnetisches Katapult”, nice, a bit nostalgic, but too long.
At least, only “Massenbeschleuniger” represent the exact mean of mass-driver, but it’s dry, no
feel of weapon, no feel of threat.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#100 Post by adrian_broher »

shivu wrote:“klein” is wrong, but my German Word doesn’t know it. :?
I'm not aware of any auto correction engine that is able to correct grammar, most of them only do fix misspellings and some very easily identifiable grammar errors.
shivu wrote:Let's take a look at what Wiki says about mass-driver. It’s here.
You get it? Ok, now click on the left to: Language/ Deutsch (no, no link, pls do it).
So witch name? Rifle, gun, “Kanone”…
Now compare again with the English version. Click again English. Interesting!
How is this Wiki link chain relevant?

A "Gun" is, according to Wikipedia, is a umbrella term for anything that fires a not self-propelled projectile through a barrel, the closest german equivalent would be "Rohrwaffe". This includes pistols, rifles, cannons, mortars, …

A "Gewehr" is a gun which is fired from the shoulder and the shooter holds it with two hands. The closest equivalent in english would "rifles and smoothbore small arms".

A "Kanone" is a line of sight gun with a big caliber, which usually is installed on any kind of carrier like a tank, a ship or is towed.

A "Geschütz" is, again, an umbrella term which includes "Kanonen" and indirect line of sight weapons like howitzers or mortars. All of them share the big caliber but differ in the way the are fired.

So "Gaussgeschütz" or "Gausskanone" would be the most fitting translation. "Gausskanone" maybe even a bit more because you can't do indirect line of sight shooting in space without relevant gravity to create an impact trajectory.
shivu wrote:My favourite would be “elektromagnetisches Katapult”, nice, a bit nostalgic, but too long.
At least, only “Massenbeschleuniger” represent the exact mean of mass-driver, but it’s dry, no
feel of weapon, no feel of threat.
You're right about that. The article you refer focuses on the non militaristic use of mass drivers. Maybe we should rename the mass driver in the english translation to coil gun.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#101 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:Maybe we should rename the mass driver in the english translation to coil gun.
The most commonly encountered English name for this type of weapon is that of a particular subtype, the "rail gun" such as in this article. That may partly or largely just be an artifact of what's actually being built and/or proposed, but ever since the 'Star Wars' defense proposals of the 1980's that's the term I recall being commonly used. Apparently "coil gun" is another subtype, but it's a designation I don't recall having seen before. For this broad class of weapons I think that "Mass Driver" or "Gaussian Cannon" would be the best English term.
Last edited by Dilvish on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#102 Post by MatGB »

Mass Drivers exist in SF, the Centauri were war criminals because they used them against Narn in Babylon 5, for example, but they're significantly more powerful in that (the MD english description isn't brilliant, it implies more powerful than energy weapons which, um, no...)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

shivu

#103 Post by shivu »

This patch fixes the last big ships revision.

This patch belongs to de.txt (r7806).

Correction:
I delete this patch because it was to long (wrong ref. file).
The same again, but in short form.
Attachments

shivu

#104 Post by shivu »

The German counterpart of sitrep patch.

SITREP_OWN_SHIP_DESTROYED_AT_SYSTEM
In %system%: ein %empire% Raumschiff der Klasse %shipdesign% wurde zerstört.
SITREP_SHIP_DESTROYED_AT_SYSTEM
In %system%: ein %empire% Raumschiff der Klasse %shipdesign% wurde zerstört.
SITREP_UNOWNED_SHIP_DESTROYED_AT_SYSTEM
In %system%: ein Raumschiff der Klasse %shipdesign% wurde zerstört.
SITREP_SHIP_DAMAGED_AT_SYSTEM
In %system%: '%ship%', ein Raumschiff von %empire% wurde beschädigt.
SITREP_UNOWNED_SHIP_DAMAGED_AT_SYSTEM
In %system%: ein Raumschiff der Klasse %shipdesign% wurde beschädigt.

This patch belongs to de.txt (r7806).
Attachments

Själe
Space Floater

#105 Post by Själe »

I've corrected some orthography and grammer. Also translated a little bit (try to make some more). :)

But I failed on the way to build a patch. So I hang on a zip-file. Hope, someone can put that in the right form.
Attachments
de1.txt.7z
Instead a patch file.
(86.5 KiB) Downloaded 259 times