SDL2 gles on armv7 status [0.4.5, working]

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

raptor
Space Squid

Re: SDL2 gles on armv7 status

#16 Post by raptor »

I've converted a project (bitfighter) to GLES 1 (from GL 1.1). It wasn't too much work and someone packaged it for openpandora.

The real problem is moving to GLES 2 which we've been saying we'd do for years - it takes a *lot* of work and we've barely written an abstraction layer for the two GL implementations. We have even less manpower than freeorion and are more interested in working on the game than enduring the conversion to GLES 2.

But conversion to GLES 1 was fairly straight-forward. In fact, I think I used those exact instructions from the pandora wiki. We keep our code base as GLES 1 compliant by default now as it is just a subset of GL 1.1 anyways. (For those curious, here is the commit where I made the transition [skip the android stuff]: https://github.com/bitfighter/bitfighte ... d0f8b04c1e)

meverik
Krill Swarm

#17 Post by meverik »

Thanks for that, it was exactly my line of thinking - a great strategy game like FO shouldn't require any fancy shader stuff to be perfectly playable on less capable platforms.

For example in ufoai (or even in 0ad for now) you can simply disable the OpenGL 2.0 parts and enjoy those games on older hardware. With future gles portability in mind it looks like a hit.

Have you heard even KDE is making noises about switching to egl?

Massa
Space Krill

#18 Post by Massa »

Hi,

I've been playing with glshim recently (the OpenGL 1.x to GLESv1 wrapper) and wondered if you thought it could be worth trying with FO? Possibly after disabling some config video options.
Some games seem to work perfectly, others have minor glitches, others fail to even start.
I'd appreciate your input in advance.

Thanks!

meverik
Krill Swarm

#19 Post by meverik »

Massa
Space Krill

#20 Post by Massa »

Thanks, even though it's sort of "playable", still too much content is not rendered at all, esp. in the overlay windows. Judging by this thread the glshim devs are going to look into this.

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/115 ... m/?page=19

EDIT:

Fixed! FO is now fully playable on the Arm/GLES platform!

Orioner
Space Krill

#21 Post by Orioner »

Dilvish wrote:... and I haven't heard of anyone doing that yet.
I'm doing this. I've tried to compile it on my Raspberry Pi and it seems something has gone wrong. (The Pi got freezed after some time of compiling. Maybe this is just a one time occurrence.)

But I've got a question: Can I run the game (after successful compiling) without having LXDE (graphical user interface of Raspbian Jessie I'm currently running on the Pi) active? In other words: Can I start the game from command line?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Orioner wrote:I've tried to compile it on my Raspberry Pi and it seems something has gone wrong. (The Pi got freezed after some time of compiling. Maybe this is just a one time occurrence.)
I doubt that the hardware of a Raspberry Pi can handle building FO. 4GB are the absolute minimum, but judging by experience, that is not guaranteed to work. 8GB are more like it. That aside, I expect to take a build of FO on a Raspberry Pi to take forever...
But I've got a question: Can I run the game (after successful compiling) without having LXDE (graphical user interface of Raspbian Jessie I'm currently running on the Pi) active? In other words: Can I start the game from command line?
Well, you can start FO from the shell of course (the main executable is "freeorion" on *nix OSes), but there still needs to be a Window Manager active I think... I mean, FO won't run on a machine that only provides a text terminal.

Orioner
Space Krill

Re: SDL2 gles on armv7 status [0.4.5, working]

#23 Post by Orioner »

Thanks for your assessment, Vezzra. I'll try it though. :wink:
Question answered. Maybe I'll share my experiences with you. So don't close this thread.

vincele
Space Dragon

#24 Post by vincele »

Hello, a window manager is probably not mandatory (modulo small bugs that should not be too hard to fix) but you still will have to run an X server.
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by MatGB »

Orioner wrote:Thanks for your assessment, Vezzra. I'll try it though. :wink:
Question answered. Maybe I'll share my experiences with you. So don't close this thread.
Please do, I reckon the odds of you getting the game to work on a Pi are quite small, but I'll be very impressed if you can.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#26 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Orioner wrote:So don't close this thread.
We almost never close threads.

Orioner
Space Krill

#27 Post by Orioner »

Geoff the Medio wrote:We almost never close threads.
I see.

Well, it compiled in less than 16 hours and seemed to complete successfully, although I'd not have the chance to prove it, since Putty wasn't able to reconnect to the Pi. (On my router it's been no longer in the list of attached devices. I had to restart my Pi bevor I regained controll over it via Putty.)

Now, I have another (small) problem. I'm not very familiar with Linux. So I don't know exactly, how to start the game. The following command (like described here: FreeOrion-Wiki) didn't work: "./freeorion"

By the way, what does this command (I know it has something to do with a link, but don't know exactly): "ln -s ../freeorion/default ."

I'd appreciate any help.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#28 Post by dbenage-cx »

Orioner wrote:The following command (like described here: FreeOrion-Wiki) didn't work: "./freeorion"
If your following the wiki guide, this needs to be run from the build directory freeorion_build.
(edit: I assume by 'didn't work' you mean the file was not found)
By the way, what does this command (I know it has something to do with a link, but don't know exactly): "ln -s ../freeorion/default ."
Creates a soft link to ../freeorion/default at the current working directory.
This should probably read "ln -s ../default .", though I usually just launch from the freeorion directory without bothering with a link.

Code: Select all

[me freeorion_build]$ ls freeorion
freeorion
[me freorion_build]$ cd ..
[me freeorion]$ freeorion_build/freeorion
'ln --help', 'man ln', and 'info ln' offer details on this command, if you need a future reference.