Ship Hulls

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Unnamed
Space Floater

Ship Hulls

#1 Post by Unnamed »

Hi all!
I think this game is quite interesting and the quality is pretty high. However I noticed most ship graphics are just placeholders. A problem I saw at many free open source games.
I gave it a try and made some graphics. Mybe these graphics are usefull for you.
License: CC BY-SA 3.0
Attachments
asteroid_hull02_icon.png
asteroid_hull02_icon.png (41.05 KiB) Viewed 18714 times
asteroid_hull01_icon.png
asteroid_hull01_icon.png (42.8 KiB) Viewed 18714 times
c04_icon.png
c04_icon.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 18714 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Ship Hulls

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Those definitely look good! Can you also produce a 2000x1000px side view?

Which program did you use to make those? Can you provide the source files (blend files preferred)?

Unnamed
Space Floater

#3 Post by Unnamed »

Yes, here are the side views:
I used Blender. I uploaded the source files here.
Attachments
asteroid_hull02.png
asteroid_hull02.png (624.77 KiB) Viewed 18705 times
asteroid_hull01.png
asteroid_hull01.png (603.69 KiB) Viewed 18705 times
c04.png
c04.png (492.75 KiB) Viewed 18705 times

Unnamed
Space Floater

#4 Post by Unnamed »

I also tried creating an organic ship. How does it look?
Attachments
organic01.png
organic01.png (854.79 KiB) Viewed 18653 times
organic01_icon.png
organic01_icon.png (46.48 KiB) Viewed 18653 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Ooh, I like.

But, the organic ship that definitely needs some new art (the flagship Sentient hull) wouldn't really fit that art, not sure what to slot that in as but it's nicely done.

If you fancy doing something nice for the Sentient Hull that'd be awesome. Any ideas for what you'd use this as (either existing or new idea, adding more hulls isn't ruled out even in an over full line)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#6 Post by Unnamed »

I think all organic hulls need new art as they are just single-coloured low poly models. It could be used for the Protoplasmic hull as it is green as well, but the shape is much different.
I want to start with small ships so here is one that looks similar to the Symbiotic hull.
Attachments
symbiotic_hull.png
symbiotic_hull.png (495.52 KiB) Viewed 18607 times
symbiotic_hull_icon.png
symbiotic_hull_icon.png (49.55 KiB) Viewed 18607 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Unnamed wrote:I think all organic hulls need new art as they are just single-coloured low poly models. It could be used for the Protoplasmic hull as it is green as well, but the shape is much different.
All true, it could definitely be used for protoplasmic and that's a scouting hull which this looks a bit like anyway. I basically said Sentient first because I use them a lot and the art is completely out of place, but I have zero talent in this area so if you're happy to do the line in entirety I'm not going to complain (I do like the base ORganic Hull though, that's recent and higher quality than the rest).
I want to start with small ships so here is one that looks similar to the Symbiotic hull.
I really like the side view, but the icon view makes it look a bit like a world war 2 era fighter, not sure I like the effect. Maybe make the nosecone a bit more pointy and/or, well, mouthlike? Beaklike?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#8 Post by Unnamed »

MatGB wrote:I really like the side view, but the icon view makes it look a bit like a world war 2 era fighter, not sure I like the effect. Maybe make the nosecone a bit more pointy and/or, well, mouthlike? Beaklike?
That's a fair point. I added teeth as well:
symbiotic_hull_icon.png
symbiotic_hull_icon.png (44.08 KiB) Viewed 18592 times
I also made a bigger asteroid in the same style as above.
And the source files are here
asteroid_hull03_icon.png
asteroid_hull03_icon.png (49.63 KiB) Viewed 18592 times
asteroid_hull03.png
asteroid_hull03.png (724.78 KiB) Viewed 18592 times

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by em3 »

My 2c: the symbiotic hull looks like a one-manned fighter craft, not a warship.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

em3 wrote:My 2c: the symbiotic hull looks like a one-manned fighter craft, not a warship.
If you're trying to use a symbiotic hull as a frontline warship you might be in trouble ;-)

It's best use (and one I emphasised a bit) is as a stealth scout or sneak fighter, with just two external slots it's way too small to engage in combat unaccompanied unless you've a swarm of them. Although stealthing them up and going all guns could be scarily effective in the early game.
Mat Bowles

Unnamed
Space Floater

#11 Post by Unnamed »

em3 wrote:My 2c: the symbiotic hull looks like a one-manned fighter craft, not a warship.
I thought it is supposed to be small, a bit smaller than the Organic hull. Maybe it looks too small though, but I'm not sure how to change it right now.

I also made graphics for the Static Multicellular hull wich looks similar to the existing graphics.
static_hull_icon.png
static_hull_icon.png (30.06 KiB) Viewed 18521 times
static_hull.png
static_hull.png (584.77 KiB) Viewed 18521 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by MatGB »

I like these, and the existing graphic for the Symbiotic hull makes it look like a small craft and you've used a similar look. I'm in the middle of testing some stuff at the moment but I'll be updating this stuff into the main repo relatively soon. Need to work out which exact hulls to match the asteroid stuff up with as well.
Mat Bowles

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#13 Post by UrshMost »

I really like the hull graphics as well! Good job!
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

Sloth
Content Scripter

#14 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:I'm in the middle of testing some stuff at the moment but I'll be updating this stuff into the main repo relatively soon. Need to work out which exact hulls to match the asteroid stuff up with as well.
I volunteer to adjust the slot positions, when you are finished.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by MatGB »

Sloth wrote:
MatGB wrote:I'm in the middle of testing some stuff at the moment but I'll be updating this stuff into the main repo relatively soon. Need to work out which exact hulls to match the asteroid stuff up with as well.
I volunteer to adjust the slot positions, when you are finished.
Cool, you're better at that than I am, takes me ages to do just one.

There are three different Asteroid line hulls up there, and I've zero clue where to put them, the 'big' one looks too similar to the other two to be the Heavy, that does need to be a bit more obvious in game than it currently is not less, so someone tell me which three hulss to use them for and I'll do them, the organics I can do already.

The other one, um, it's a bit technological, any suggestions?
Mat Bowles