Vision Statement

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Vision Statement

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I think the FreeOrion vision statement could use some updating.
FreeOrion Vision Statement wrote:FreeOrion, an open-source game based on Master of Orion, is a turn-based game of epic space strategy that builds on the classic '4X' model by incorporating the nation-building elements of games such as Europa Universalis 2 and a versatile tactical combat engine. While its modular, open-source design allows for a significant degree of customization of the game engine and the story elements by the community, the FreeOrion team is dedicated to the construction of a living, breathing universe in a 'grand campaign' model.
The reference to Europa Universalis 2 in particular seems arbitrary now, even if it made sense in 2003. I don't think the design is particularly "modular". There are no plans currently for a tactical combat engine. The content in general is substantially more customizable than the game engine (if it can even be called that), and the "story" is not any more so customizable than other content. It should probably say "inspired by" rather than "based on" MoO games.

Granted, this is a vision statement, not a description of the state of the project, but perhaps the practical goals have shifted a bit in a decade?

Thoughts?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Vision Statement

#2 Post by MatGB »

I was trying to summon the willpower to suggest similar myself at some point, it definitely needs updating.

Never played Europa Universalis, no idea if we're even using ideas from it. Given that no one on the team is currently interested in a tactical combat engine, and some of us distinctly don't want one anyway, making it fit into what we're currently doing/planning/hoping for would make a lot more sense.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Sounds reasonable. Like Mat I've already been wondering if we should update the vision statement, especially concerning the "versatile tactical combat engine", (for the reasons Mat mentioned). I also agree to your statement regarding the "modular design".

The open source nature of the project however does make the game engine customizeable, in the sense that anyone who's sufficiently skilled can take the source and implement whatever customizations he wants (that's one of the major points of open source software), and I think this line in the vision statement wants to say just that.

The reference to the customizeablity of "story elements" does sound arbitrary, that should probably changed to something more general like "customizeable content".

Agree to all the other changes you suggested. That should better reflect what we are aiming for now. What FO will actually be once we (or should I say: more likely our successors? ;)) arrive at 1.0 is another story :D

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

I concur.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

labgnome
Juggernaut

#5 Post by labgnome »

It might be a good idea to get a poll going here if we are going to make changes to get a temp check about possible changes. I'm sure some of the stuff is obvious and just out-of-date, but it's probably a good idea to make sure that people are at least generally on the same page about things. Especially since this is something we look to when gaging weather or not an idea is good/bad for this project.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

If the vision statement would be a single sentence, I'd go for "Micromanagement is futile"
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!