0.4.5 mac crash + game hosed

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
cseraphi
Space Floater

0.4.5 mac crash + game hosed

#1 Post by cseraphi »

Had a few crashes on 0.45 Mac (starting around turn 70 or so, becoming more frequent as things progress). I submitted the crash reports to Apple, but I'm not sure if you guys see those reports or not.

Anyway, the more disconcerting thing is that after the last crash, loading saved game files (including games from well before the crash) brings me to a black screen. Music still plays, mouse works, but I have nada on the screen; toggling fullscreen/windowed, messing with resolutions, etc do not help. Starting new games gives me the same problem. Something stateful got corrupted, but I'm not sure how to address it.

Any suggestions? Anything I can do to provide more information?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 0.4.5 mac crash + game hosed

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

cseraphi wrote:I submitted the crash reports to Apple, but I'm not sure if you guys see those reports or not.
Nope. Use the forums or github issues.
...after the last crash, [starting a game] brings me to a black screen. Music still plays, mouse works, but I have nada on the screen; toggling fullscreen/windowed, messing with resolutions, etc do not help.
Make sure there are no lingering processes from before the crash. Rebooting would help, or checking whatever process/task manager you have available for any freeoriond or freeorionca processes running.

Also, look in

Username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion/

and locate freeoriond.log and freeorion.log from after starting the game fresh and getting to a blank screen. Zip and attach them here, or just post if very short, or use pastebin if you prefer and they are long.
Last edited by Dilvish on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tag

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

In addition to try rebooting, please also delete the file config.xml in Username/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion/. That's the main config file, maybe it got corrupted by your latest crash.

cseraphi
Space Floater

#4 Post by cseraphi »

Ah, that was it-- there were some processes still running. They'd apparently become orphaned (PPID 1). I killed them (they exited cleanly on SIGTERM) and everything was fine after that.

Code: Select all

501 28861     1   0 Sat04PM ??         0:52.70 "/Applications/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Executables/freeorionca" AI_2 5 --resource-dir "/Applications/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Resources/default" --log-level DEBUG --binary-serialization 1 --ai-path AI
  501 28862     1   0 Sat04PM ??         1:09.85 "/Applications/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Executables/freeorionca" AI_3 5 --resource-dir "/Applications/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Resources/default" --log-level DEBUG --binary-serialization 1 --ai-path AI
  501 28863     1   0 Sat04PM ??         1:42.74 "/Applications/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Executables/freeorionca" AI_4 5 --resource-dir "/Applications/Games/FreeOrion.app/Contents/Resources/default" --log-level DEBUG --binary-serialization 1 --ai-path AI
For the record: config.xml was clean (passed lint).

I'll post here if I get a clean look at a crash, now that we've resolved the greater "I can't play!!" issue :-)

cseraphi
Space Floater

#5 Post by cseraphi »

Well, that didn't take long-- it's crashing every couple turns now.

Attaching the client and daemon logs....

Edit: This time, no lingering processes.
Attachments
freeoriond.log.CRASH-2015-10-01.gz
daemon log (also gzipped)
(22 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
freeorion.log.CRASH-2015-10-01.gz
freeorion.log
(26.29 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The logs suggest it's an AI player that's crashing, at which point the server shuts down and disconnects you.

Before starting a game, try going into the options menu, Other tab (far right, need to scroll over to see it), and setting the Effects processing threads to 1.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

It would also be interesting to see the AI log of the crashed AI process. @cseraphi, can you delete all *.log files, try again, and then post all the log files that got created (including all the AI_*.log files)?

EDIT: Oh, and can you also post your version of OSX and hardware specs?

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:It would also be interesting to see the AI log of the crashed AI process.
I can provide that... If I have the effects processing threads at the default 8, I sometimes get a crash of an AI on the first turn, before doing anything. The log ends with

2015-10-02 15:51:35.489635 [debug] AI : PythonAI::GenerateOrders : initializing turn
2015-10-02 15:51:35.489635 [debug] AI : Universe::InitMeterEstimatesAndDiscrepancies
2015-10-02 15:51:35.489635 [debug] AI : IMEAD: updating meter estimates
which comes from the start of the meter update estimating function:

void Universe::InitMeterEstimatesAndDiscrepancies() {
    DebugLogger() << "Universe::InitMeterEstimatesAndDiscrepancies";
    ScopedTimer timer("Universe::InitMeterEstimatesAndDiscrepancies");

// clear old discrepancies and accounting
    m_effect_discrepancy_map.clear();
    m_effect_accounting_map.clear();

DebugLogger() << "IMEAD: updating meter estimates";

// generate new estimates (normally uses discrepancies, but in this case will find none)
    UpdateMeterEstimates();

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

I'm still curious if logs cseraphi provides show the same. He's on OSX like me, but I never had an AI crashing on me like that, although I never change the default effects processing threads.

cseraphi
Space Floater

#10 Post by cseraphi »

I bought a new MBP (the current 15" model with the Radeon card) running 10.10 (I was running 10.9 previously). Have not been able to reproduce the crash since. Upgraded to 10.11, still stable as a rock. Maybe that's why you didn't get more reports...?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

cseraphi wrote:Maybe that's why you didn't get more reports...?
Most likely...

cseraphi
Space Floater

#12 Post by cseraphi »

Got a crash again in 0.4.5 on the new setup, but I suspect it's unrelated to the earlier. I selected a half-dozen ships and moved them into a 'new fleet' box and poof, down she goes. The text from the Apple crash reporter is attached.
Attachments
crash.txt
Apple crash report
(50.14 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

cseraphi wrote:I selected a half-dozen ships and moved them into a 'new fleet' box...
Can you be more specific / precise? How many total fleets in the system, in the the open fleets window, was "half a dozen" ships all of them or just some in the selected fleet, if not all, what place in the list were they (other ships above, below, both, between), in what order did you select them / how did you select them, were there other fleets also in the fleet window, where was the open fleet in the list of fleets, did moving those ships empty their source fleet, etc.

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Please try to reproduce in the latest test build. I adjusted the order of some list drag-drop processing that might have helped. The apple crash report call stack was (possibly) rather helpful for this.

cseraphi
Space Floater

#15 Post by cseraphi »

Can you be more specific / precise? How many total fleets in the system, in the the open fleets window, was "half a dozen" ships all of them or just some in the selected fleet, if not all, what place in the list were they (other ships above, below, both, between), in what order did you select them / how did you select them, were there other fleets also in the fleet window, where was the open fleet in the list of fleets, did moving those ships empty their source fleet, etc.
Can do. It definitely seems related to the amount of ships in the stack being dragged, so I can probably work out a reproducer.

I'll download the latest snapshot and get back to you.

Update: The Nov 2nd snap is downloading now. I'm able to reproduce it consistently ( > 50% of attempts) in the 0.45 release by dragging 7 ships at once into a 'New Fleet' box. The number of ships in the source fleet do not seem to matter; it happens whether the ships I am dragging comprise the whole original fleet or just a subset of it. I'll repeat these tests with the snapshot once I get it downloaded.