Human loading problems and AI not coming in

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Scara
Space Kraken

Human loading problems and AI not coming in

#1 Post by Scara »

Hi,

I was trying to start a new game yesterday fresh pull from git and strangely when starting a new game playing humans the AI won't come and all stay peaceful. I checked with supertester no movement at the ai homeworlds.
Now there are no fights as the monsters are friendly too.
The day before it was working. I saw a lot of changes where made.
I pulled the changes again today and tried again with build 2015-11-17.18405c1
I'm playing and compiling on linux mint and tried it on both WM KDE and XFce with libboost 1.58, compiling went fine as far as I can tell. Compiling with Release build type.
An other thing I noticed for about a week or two from now, are the saves weren't loading properly. Maybe it's a related problem.
When opening manually saved games it says "creating AI clients" and that was it, need to tab out and quit it.
Trying to load the last autosave it won't work eighter, but the second last works and loads normal.
Right now I'm trying to build with type Debug...
Ah, I just saw similaritys to the post before

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Human loading problems and AI not coming in

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:An other thing I noticed for about a week or two from now, are the saves weren't loading properly. Maybe it's a related problem.
When opening manually saved games it says "creating AI clients" and that was it, need to tab out and quit it.
Known issue; see: viewtopic.php?p=81483#p81483

Scara
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Scara »

Hey,

as I was playing humans all the time, I just tried laenfa and had the same issues.
nofight.png
nofight.png (103.76 KiB) Viewed 1695 times

Scara
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Scara »

Hello,
a completely other thing that was confusing me... in the production queue the selection fields for multiple productions are sensitive for the mousewheel on hoovering over them. I more then one time changed my settings there accidentally, because the wheel is used for scrolling the productionlist aswell. Is it possible to change the setting to use the mousewheel only on the activated field?
Thanks a bundle for this great game!

xlightwavex
Space Kraken

#5 Post by xlightwavex »

yep i just tried the newest version the loading wont work
it gets stuck every time at... creating ai clients.

How far back is that broke ?

Scara
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Scara »

Hi,

hmm, well the loading problem seems solved, with version build 2015-11-18.60558b8, when I tested.
I'm still puzzled why AI is peaceful, as shown above... is this somebody else is experiencing or is it just me?

Single Player
Space Floater

#7 Post by Single Player »

Scara wrote:I'm still puzzled why AI is peaceful, as shown above... is this somebody else is experiencing or is it just me?
Same for me - or to be more precise the weapons are displayed with zero strength and don't seem to do any damage. However it's not only weapons strength but also armor for some of my newly built ships is at zero unless I'll have them repair at a drydock.

I did (starting from master at 60558b8d6c6e56a108baf2330d707a22598c6929) a git bisect which identified revision a72d77ff322388e1afa08709b3096943805f3e19 as the first bad commit.
Unfortunately that commit cannot be reverted independently - but I could first revert revision 18405c1ff33788d3508e3d52b82bd7813645bdbd and then a72d77ff322388e1afa08709b3096943805f3e19.

The result did not have either of the two problems reported in this thread.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

Recompiled from trunk this morning, 60558b8. No AI greetings turn 1 (newer players, watch messages during turn one, if you don't get something from each AI then there's something weird happening), Super Testers on turn 8 reveals not a single AI ship has moved and as jar as I can tell nothing has been built, so the AIs aren't initialising properly.

In addition, a scout of mine found a Maintenance Ship, a 'combat' occured but no shots were fired and the scout was able to run on (structure 5, should be dead), am sending a 2nd scout in before abandoning game and compiling an earlier version.

Edit: scout arrived, no shots fired

Zip of logfiles attached, the AI logs are all 50ish Kb which is wrong, beyond that they remain gibberish to me.
Attachments
AIs_not_working_60558b8.zip
(140.45 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, we've got several issues going on here.

1) Save/load game bug: solved, has been addressed by commit 7f21abb.

2) AI completely passive: solved, this has been introduced by commit a72d77f which removed the missile and point-defence ship part classes from the backend C++ code, but left a reference to these ship part classes in the AI Python scripts, causing AI init to fail (and thereby completely breaking the AI). Addressed by commit 5bf401f.

3) All space monsters weapon strength is 0, rendering those beasts harmless: my guess is that this too is caused by by commit a72d77f. Geoff?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:3) All space monsters weapon strength is 0, rendering those beasts harmless: my guess is that this too is caused by by commit a72d77f. Geoff?
Probably...

Slay
Space Floater

#11 Post by Slay »

AI completely passive: solved ... Addressed by commit 5bf401f.
i was able to follow this, problem solved for me too :)

i found something else that could be related to issue 3 (All space monsters weapon strength is 0). in the Pedia everything that should have attack has instead:
For species: Generic
Total Attack: 0
this is true for premade designs, custom ships, and monsters.

but in combat, human ships, AI ships, AI and native homeworlds, do cause damage. monsters do not.

i'm tempted to play through with this bugged version, passive monsters could make the AI more challenging for me :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:3) All space monsters weapon strength is 0, rendering those beasts harmless: my guess is that this too is caused by by commit a72d77f. Geoff?
Probably...
I've created a PR with an attempt to fix this issue.