New Bombard weapons

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

New Bombard weapons

#1 Post by spikethehobbit »

EMP Generator (kills robotic)
Graviton Pulse (kills lithic)
Dark Ray (kills phototrophic)
Chaos Wave (kills everything)

Something I came up with a while ago, but forgot to submit.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

All contributions are submitted under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidlines.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: New Bombard weapons

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Can you create a pull request with that patch on github? That's the recommended way to provide patches now.

Num7
Space Squid

#3 Post by Num7 »

Sound like some pretty sweet doomsday weapons!
If this post contains code, it's released under GPL 2.0 or later.

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

#4 Post by spikethehobbit »

Pull request "New bombardment weapons #411" submitted to github.
All contributions are submitted under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidlines.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Looks good. As I can see, you've already put a license statement into your sig, can you extend that a bit? Game content (like the content scripts in your patch) is also licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license, so we also need a license statement from you covering that. For reference, see the official license statement of the FreeOrion Project as contained here.

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

#6 Post by spikethehobbit »

Fixed.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Have added some comments on the PR, I like the overall work, it's good, there are some copy/paste errors (perhaps replace all uses of monsters using death spores with monsters using bombardment weapons?).

If implemented, then the organic base weapon needs reverting, which I'd be fine with, but we then need to sort out what to do with monsters that use them. It springs to mind that there could be a monster using each type of basic weapon, also that the death wave could be used by Experimentor beasties.

Good work, needs tweaking ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

#8 Post by spikethehobbit »

Thank you for your suggestions and corrections.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

spikethehobbit wrote:Fixed.
Perfect. Another thing: Is there a real name you want to provide for the credits, or should we just list you under your nick ("spikethehobbit")?

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

#10 Post by spikethehobbit »

I'm already in there as Spike. :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

spikethehobbit wrote:I'm already in there as Spike. :)
Ah, yes, right. Strange, I did search credits.xml for "spike" before and didn't find you, that's why I asked... well, must have mistyped "spike" somehow ;)

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

Balance Issue

#12 Post by spikethehobbit »

In play testing, I have found a balance issue with the new weapons: Monsters bombard every planet in a system when they visit it. This means a trio of Black Kraken armed with a single Chaos Wave each would kill 6 population per planet. In a system with 4 planets, that is 24 population lost, which seems excessive. What I recommend is that monsters bombard one randomly chosen planet each when visiting a system, but I am not sure how to implement that.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Balance Issue

#13 Post by MatGB »

spikethehobbit wrote:In play testing, I have found a balance issue with the new weapons: Monsters bombard every planet in a system when they visit it. This means a trio of Black Kraken armed with a single Chaos Wave each would kill 6 population per planet. In a system with 4 planets, that is 24 population lost, which seems excessive. What I recommend is that monsters bombard one randomly chosen planet each when visiting a system, but I am not sure how to implement that.
I agree, and neither do I. Anyone?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

Isn't there a "OneOf" function in FOCS which randomly picks one item out of a list of items...?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Isn't there a "OneOf" function in FOCS which randomly picks one item out of a list of items...?
Yes, but in this case you'd want the NumberOf condition to pick one in-game object.

OneOf(...,...,...) is used to specify that one of a list of values (numbers, planet types, strings, etc.) should be evaluated and used.