Hello.

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

xlightwavex
Space Kraken

Hello.

#1 Post by xlightwavex »

Hi my name is will.
I like this game i was thinking i would like to see if i can help out a little.
Most of the stuff i've done is just hobby stuff for fun some stuff with xna/xbox and monogame.
Mostly experimenting with graphical stuff and learning, though its not my profession.
Ive learned quite a few graphical tricks though from time spent on those forums.
As well as having been dabbling for a long time on my own, though i enjoy making algorithms.

Primarily i want to first see if i can tone down some of the end game lag my comp is getting.
Its been a long time since i messed with either c++ or open gl though, and im a git noob.

So ill prolly have some questions questions here and there.

Actually i have a few now or prolly tons really like.
This solution is huge, so what is were mostly ?
Why is there 3 fo projects in the solution ?
What is the underlying open gl version being used 3.3 ?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Hello.

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

xlightwavex wrote:This solution is huge, so what is were mostly ?
See the second half of: http://freeorion.org/index.php/Programming
Why is there 3 fo projects in the solution ?
The human client, the AI client, and the server are separate processes requiring different stuff to be built.
What is the underlying open gl version being used 3.3 ?
Probably 2.0 or 2.1. I've done a bunch of work on removing old immediate-mode GL calls, but some likely remains in the GG or FO rendering code.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Hello.

#3 Post by Vezzra »

xlightwavex wrote:I like this game i was thinking i would like to see if i can help out a little.
Welcome to the fun :D
Primarily i want to first see if i can tone down some of the end game lag my comp is getting.
Its been a long time since i messed with either c++ or open gl though
When I joined the project, I had only experience with plain old C, and even that has been almost 20 years ago. I still wrestle with C++ (it's truly a beast of a programming language, to put it mildly), and I never even touched OpenGL (till this day). That didn't prevent me from contributing ;)

So, feel free to go ahead and start experimenting.
and im a git noob.
We migrated our main repo from SVN and sourceforge to git and github early this year, and practically all of us were git noobs then. Of course we got better with it over time, but still aren't what you'd call experts. See this thread for help on git and github, you can also follow our struggles with those tools there. ;)