Replace DejaVuSans font by FreeSans font

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ghealy
Space Kraken

Re: Replace DejaVuSans font by FreeSans font

#16 Post by ghealy »

Does all this mean we might see it in a release soon? I find the existing font hideous. :)

- Gene

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

As soon as someone (Ouaz?) provides a patch/PR that replaces the old font with a new one, and this patch/PR gets approved and merged...

ghealy
Space Kraken

#18 Post by ghealy »

Appreciate the feedback. I look forward to the improved font. :)

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#19 Post by Ouaz »

Vezzra wrote:As soon as someone (Ouaz?) provides a patch/PR that replaces the old font with a new one, and this patch/PR gets approved and merged...
1) I can't submit a PR, because the "Roboto-Bold" font has to be declared somewhere (in order to be automatically added to the config file), but I don't know in which file...

2) The default font size for Text and Titles has to be increased respectively to 16 and 17. Once again, it is coded somewhere (also added automatically to the config file after the 1st launch), but I don't know in which file...

I presume Geoff is on it, as the zip file has been downloaded 1 time.

EDIT:
@ghealy

In the meantime, you can use the Roboto font on your own:

- Download the .zip file in the previous page.
- In you're on Windows, extract Roboto-Regular and Roboto-Bold into C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeOrion\default (or whatever place is the "default" folder)
- Erase DejaVuSans-Bold and rename Roboto-Bold to DejaVuSans-Bold
Or go to "C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion and edit the config file (search for <font-bold> and change DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf to Roboto-Bold.ttf)

- Launch FO, in the UI options, choose Roboto-Regular for "Text" and "Windows titles"
- Increase Text font size to 16 and Title font size to 17.
- Quit FO and restart.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#20 Post by dbenage-cx »

Ouaz wrote:1) I can't submit a PR, because the "Roboto-Bold" font has to be declared somewhere (in order to be automatically added to the config file), but I don't know in which file...

2) The default font size for Text and Titles has to be increased respectively to 16 and 17. Once again, it is coded somewhere (also added automatically to the config file after the 1st launch), but I don't know in which file...
UI/ClientUI.cpp:492

Would anyone mind fonts being placed in default/data/fonts ?
I presume Geoff is on it, as the zip file has been downloaded 1 time.
That was probably me, checking for missing glyphs ;)
Just to summarize, I didn't see anything critical, as long as dropping support for some languages is ok.
Completely drops: Hebrew, Arabic, NKo, Thai, Lao, Georgian (plus many supplemental pages like Domino Tiles and Old Italic)
Partially drops: Greek and Coptic (52% from 93%), Latin Extended Additional (39% from 98%), Cyrillic Supplement (41% from 79%)

Some of the glyphs within those partials are actually present, but un-mapped (there are ~350 un-mapped glyphs in Roboto Regular). Not certain if they will load with their codepage.

All of the glyphs currently in use for systems are present.
Cryllic Supplement looks to be seldom used in most of the common cyrillic languages.
Latin Extended Additional might pose an issue, though I believe most of these are seldom used.

Note, I only know english fluently, information on Cyrillic and modified latin latters was gleamed from various searches. Someone who uses a language with these symbols may want to check them.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by MatGB »

It would be better, I think, to keep them in a folder of their own rather than in the default folder as now.

I don't think we lose much by not having a font for most of those you list, but I'd want a cyrillic user (of which we have many) to confirm whether they need the bits lost, Cj?

I'm basically assuming that people who need/want to switch to a language completely unsupported in stringtables will have their own fonts included anyway, as we don't have an active translator for any of those listed we aren't supporting them anyway.

But, like you, English is my only language so feedback from those whose first language is other than that would be very helpful, specifically objections.

(I personally don't mind either way, I have zero problem with the current font and always play with the fontsize reduced substantially)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The 3 existing font files are collectively ~2.5 MB (including the two that are seemingly never used?), so I don't see a need to remove them to add the new default font file / files.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#23 Post by Ouaz »

dbenage-cx wrote: UI/ClientUI.cpp:492

Would anyone mind fonts being placed in default/data/fonts ?
Thanks, I'm on it.
That was probably me, checking for missing glyphs ;)
Just to summarize, I didn't see anything critical, as long as dropping support for some languages is ok.
Completely drops: Hebrew, Arabic, NKo, Thai, Lao, Georgian (plus many supplemental pages like Domino Tiles and Old Italic)
Partially drops: Greek and Coptic (52% from 93%), Latin Extended Additional (39% from 98%), Cyrillic Supplement (41% from 79%)

[...]

Note, I only know english fluently, information on Cyrillic and modified latin latters was gleamed from various searches. Someone who uses a language with these symbols may want to check them.
Thanks for the report, I didn't go so far. :p I've only checked this:
font_spe_roboto.png
font_spe_roboto.png (56.95 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
I didn't include mathematical symbols, but it's OK (for the major ones)

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#24 Post by Ouaz »

PR submitted: #843

ghealy
Space Kraken

#25 Post by ghealy »

Ouaz: Thanks for those instructions. Though I think I might just wait for the update. Don't seem to have much luck modding FO on my end. :) Followed the instructions I received here on creating a persistent_config, so I didn't have to re-position windows each time I update the game. Thought I had it working. But in reality, it didn't. <shrug> Last two releases I had to re-positition windows each time. <shrug> Guess I was just not meant to write code :D

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#26 Post by dbenage-cx »

ghealy, please make a new post with the persistent_config.xml your trying to use, or with your existing config.xml and indicate which settings you want to keep.
Would be more than happy to help sort any problem out, it also helps others that come across the same issue.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#27 Post by ghealy »

@dbenage-cx: Thanks, will do.