0.4.6 RC1 play testing and packaging

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: 0.4.6 RC1 play testing and packaging

#16 Post by dbenage-cx »

Is it possible you closed the client shortly after saving?
There is a "Saving..." message that appears, follows by a "Saved xxx bytes to file: filename" message once the save finishes.
If you quit before completion, the save does not finish (so there is a file by that name, but it is not a valid save).

This needs to change to something more prominent, which did not happen in time for 0.4.6 (see Issue #971).

Unless the issue is with files that previously loaded ok and have not been overwritten, in that case the log files after attempt and an offending save would be helpful.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

raptor wrote:I am sorry for not responding sooner (school has me busy).
No problem, we're all doing this for fun in our free time here. ;)
However, now the planet shows the appropriate numbers
Which indicates even stronger that my suspicion about what happens here is right. You just happened to check the suitability report right after the planet has been depopulated, which gives messed up numbers. It's a known issue, but something we won't be able to address for 0.4.6. Usually not that much of a problem, but apparently more off with the Temporal Anomaly special present.
4. In some instances the save file I previously used does not show up in the GUI so I cannot load it, yet I can still overwrite it:
You screenshots indicate you've closed the message window. As your game is in a late stage (turn 219), I guess the saves are already quite large and saving takes some time. As dbenage already pointed out, looks like you ran into this issue. Which means you've probably quit the game too fast after initiating a save, which means this might have resulted in corrupted save files laying around. If the load save game dialog can't retrieve the save game header data from a file, it won't be shown in the list.
I will not do any more turns until I get further instructions this time.
You just need to save your game to an extra file (named accordingly, e.g. "suitability_rep_wrong_numbers.sav") if you hit a bug, then you can proceed with your game just fine...

raptor
Space Squid

#18 Post by raptor »

Yes, I think I did close the game down quickly after saving the last time. That issue looks like it is the same one.

Would you still like me to open a github issue on save dialog style or the planet suitability problem?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

raptor wrote:Would you still like me to open a github issue on save dialog style or the planet suitability problem?
For the save game problem there already exists an issue, no point in creating a duplicate. For the planet suitability report I leave it up to you - it's not like the issue you originally reported (a problem with the suitability report specifically in conjunction with the Temporal Anomaly special). The actual underlying issue is a different one (suitabillity report numbers messed up on the turn right after a depopulation), and for that an issue needs to be created eventually of course. You can do that if you want, but if you don't someone else will (hopefully) get around to it.

EricF
Space Dragon

#20 Post by EricF »

A feature I would like to see is an option in the game creation screen to turn off the Experimenters.
I would like the ability to play with monsters, but no chance for Experimenters.
Those guys just really annoy me. :x

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

EricF wrote:A feature I would like to see is an option in the game creation screen to turn off the Experimenters.
That already has been requested a lot, and is on the todo list. There even is already an open issue on the github issue tracker: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/581.

So, it will come. With everything else on our todo list, the question is when... ;)