0.4.6 RC1 playtesting

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
zero
Space Krill

0.4.6 RC1 playtesting

#1 Post by zero »

I've only managed to play a few games, so not much of a broad perspective. I tried to stick to default settings for most attempts other than setting AI to maniacal.
Overall it seemed like the AI was a little more effective than usual, with the caveat that it still sometimes puts troop ships into danger needlessly. I'm still out-colonizing them pretty much every game. Hard to say what exactly changed but it was just a feeling that they were doing better than usual.
I had a lot less trouble with monsters, other than a vacuum dragon that enjoyed a good rampage. Defaulting to low seems to yield a much more playable (certainly more navigable) map unless you're really looking for a challenge.
The new features I used generally worked well. I had reason to move a planet with a ship-based beacon twice; once was before the game was definitely won. I didn't do anything with ground attack weapons, ancient races or starlane tools.
Had my first match where a Derthrean NPC was there for the taking, so I rushed distributed computing and research. That was fun; I was using titans before the computers had grav hulls but they outproduced me by so much that they had the advantage until the late stage techs kicked in.

Seemed solid overall. I had one UI crash when clicking an expander in the planet panel but I wasn't able to reproduce it and hadn't saved in ~50 turns, so no useful data available. Someone else already mentioned the error message for races with no production, which is already fixed. Lag was low to none for ~200 systems and 6 AI.

Thanks for all the effort from everyone involved. This is looking really good.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: 0.4.6 RC1 playtesting

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Thanks for the feedback!

CaptainTofu
Space Floater

#3 Post by CaptainTofu »

I agree. 4.6 is very stable.
I like the implementation of bombardments.

There is a bug, that I occurs here and there. I do not know, how to replicate it. In the tech screen sometimes the game keeps scrolling down. You can counter scroll, but the downscrolling does not stop. Sometimes it works to change the screen, rarely only closing FO helps. Happens like 1 time in 30 minutes. I know this bug for several versions, it is not new. Interestingly, this never happens with the production list.

And sometimes FO freezes for a couple seconds during my turn. As soon, as I figure out a pattern, I will create a thread for it.

You are doing high quality work here!

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

CaptainTofu wrote:I agree. 4.6 is very stable.
I like the implementation of bombardments.

There is a bug, that I occurs here and there. I do not know, how to replicate it. In the tech screen sometimes the game keeps scrolling down. You can counter scroll, but the downscrolling does not stop. Sometimes it works to change the screen, rarely only closing FO helps. Happens like 1 time in 30 minutes. I know this bug for several versions, it is not new. Interestingly, this never happens with the production list.
I've had that happen on occasion, well before 0.4.6 though haven't seen it in awhile. Never figured out a trigger for it though.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Normally dragging something (accidentally) out of the area it's meant to be in seems to be the trigger, several of them were closed awhileback but I've sometimes had it happen on the production and tech screen.

It's very hard to replicate and generally you don't notice what it was you did wrong, so a pain to narrow down.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.