Why no Huge Robotic Hull?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
EricF
Space Dragon

Why no Huge Robotic Hull?

#1 Post by EricF »

Along the asteroid hull line you end with a huge asteroid hull, the Scattered Asteroid Hull.
At the end of the Self-Gravitating line you end with the huge Titan Hull.
Since there is no self repairing huge robotic hull there must have been some conscious design decision to leave this hull out. I searched the forums, but found no discussion on this topic. I was just curious as to the reasoning behind this decision.
Thanks for a fun game, guys.
Oh, forgot about the huge Solar hull at the end of the Energy hull line.
And there is no huge Bio hull either...

EricF
Space Dragon

Re: Why no Huge Robotic Hull?

#2 Post by EricF »

Oh, and any plans for a huge HUGE hull? (Ala Super Star Destroyer)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Why no Huge Robotic Hull?

#3 Post by MatGB »

Titan and Self Gravitating are part of the Robotic line (and have the not-very-well-documented Robotic tag), the flagship for that line is the Logistics Facilitator which works incredibly well with Titans.

At a basic level, there's a cost increase for being self repairing, if there was a Titan equivalent with anything like a self repair facility on board I'd almost certainly cost it on the expensive side, I toned down Logistics repair very recently as the combo was overpowered. I did consider introducing a slightly larger nanorobotic hull in a recent pass, but my balance instinct told me not to.

We do need to do more to document the line tags to, for example, make it clearer that the robotic interface shields work with all of them, as the organic solar concentrator works with all the organic hulls.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.