GitHub Labels overhaul

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

GitHub Labels overhaul

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Someone (my bet is on Marcel ;)) has reworked the labels on github, and I consider the results a big improvement, so thumbs up! :D

I have one tiny little complaint though: Marcel, it looks like you renamed the "enhancement" label into "category:refactoring" - I don't think that this really fits the original label. The "enhancement" label was used for a wide variety of things, a lot of which probably would fall under "refactoring", but certainly not all. E.g. a PR adding a new species has also been labeled "enhancement", which has nothing to do with "refactoring". So I propose to rename "category:refactoring" to "category:enhancement", add "category:refactoring" as a new label and replace "category:enhancement" with "category:refactoring" at all issues/PRs where you think "refactoring" fits better.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: GitHub Labels overhaul

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Someone (my bet is on Marcel ;)) has reworked the labels on github, and I consider the results a big improvement, so thumbs up! :D
Yeah, I'm guilty on that. I found the previous tagging 'concept' very annoying and saw this on another git project. Sorry for not at least notifying the team to this, but this 'shooting from the hip'-work style is just very hard for me to overcome.
Vezzra wrote:I have one tiny little complaint though: Marcel, it looks like you renamed the "enhancement" label into "category:refactoring" - I don't think that this really fits the original label. The "enhancement" label was used for a wide variety of things, a lot of which probably would fall under "refactoring", but certainly not all.
Well, the first time the label was introduced (I don't remember who added it) I always though of this as 'refactoring' and tagging refactoring issues most of the time like this. But looking at the actual tagging I don't know if the term 'enhancement' was chosen well and isn't just to broad. There are issues that were tagged as enhancement but are a bug/bugfix, or features that are were tagged as enhancement. There will never be issues that are intentional 'dehancements'. Your example of a new species I would classify as 'feature' but while labeling issues I found some issues that can't be labeled properly, so I'm open for suggestions what to use instead of 'enhancement' (or keeping it as is).
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

From https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... -242174547
Vezzra wrote:@adrianbroher: Not related to this PR per se, just taking it as an example: what category to use for this? It's not a refactoring or bug, and to label this as feature doesn't really fit IMO. It's more something like an extension/enhancement of an already existing thing, in this case the Dump function of the System class.

Personally I'd prefer to use "enhancement" for this kind of things. That ok with you, or would you prefer something else?
Well, good question. I would say it's a feature as it adds something to the application (features don't need to be user facing according to my interpretation).
Resident code gremlin

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'd think a "feature" should be user-visible, or at least content-scripter visible. A small bit more detail in a rarely-used dump function is not a feature, or even is a dump function. It's something used mostly internally to support other work / code / development.

This could be "engine internals", though I'm not sure about calling it an "engine"...

adrian_broher
Programmer

#5 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I'd think a "feature" should be user-visible, or at least content-scripter visible. A small bit more detail in a rarely-used dump function is not a feature, or even is a dump function. It's something used mostly internally to support other work / code / development.

This could be "engine internals", though I'm not sure about calling it an "engine"...
Is there anything wrong with just "internals"? Otherwise I think this is a good suggestion for any non-user-facing feature.
Resident code gremlin

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

It would not distinguish between something that is a new addition and something that is an enhancement/extension of an existing thing, but for stuff labelled "internal" that probably isn't necessary/desired. So I guess "internals" is just fine.

Morlic
AI Contributor

#7 Post by Morlic »

Regarding AI logic changes which are not exactly "features" but mostly "tweaking" of existing stuff, e.g. changing research order or changing some weighting/rating function, adding some details to consider etc.
What label is appropriate for that kind of changes? "Feature" seems far stretched if changes are minor. I would interpret that label as adding a new functionality not tweaking some existing one.

For balance fixes in game content etc. "category: Balancing" seems fair and easy enough. Not sure how the corresponding AI label could be named precisely. "AI logic" is kind of redundant with "component: AI" and I guess too specific... "Enhancement" seemed to kind of cover that stuff nicely. "Tweak" would also work but is just as nondescript.

Any better ideas?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#8 Post by dbenage-cx »

Some list of definitions for the differing labels would be greatly appreciated.
Specifically the components common, infrastructure and internal are not clearly different to me (even with the previous discussion on internal).

adrian_broher
Programmer

#9 Post by adrian_broher »

Added a PR with at least some documentation. It probably only answers only your question regarding infrastructure, dbenage-cx. A review from everybody would be appreciated.
Resident code gremlin

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#10 Post by dbenage-cx »

Thank you very much, it is a big help.