Right mouse-button-click flickering? (SOLVED)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Right mouse-button-click flickering?

#1 Post by Bromstarzan »

Tried the search forums to see if this is an old issue or not, couldn't find any recent posts (sorry if I did not dig deep enough).
Problem: When right-clicking on, for instance, a fleet/ship to rename it - or right-clicking on a planet in the system view (to see "suitability"), the pop-up menu shows up and disappears instantly. By repeatedly right-clicking I eventually get a menu that stays and allows me to choose... Is there a mouse input delay/timing available in the options that I need to change?

The image below shows a pop-up menu that requires 1 to 15 right-mouse clicks to bring up:

| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

Re: Right mouse-button-click flickering?

#2 Post by Ouaz »

Which build?

Right-clicking planets or ships works fine for me, menu pops up correctly (last week build, [2016-03-14.adb4e92])
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Bromstarzan »

Testing 160321 now, but it was the same with earlier builds like 150901. I run in windowed mode - is that the problem? Will try fullscreen.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Bromstarzan wrote:Tried the search forums to see if this is an old issue or not, couldn't find any recent posts
Nope, can't remember ever having heard of such an issue.
Is there a mouse input delay/timing available in the options that I need to change?
Not that I'm aware of.

Is FO the only game/program that has that issue? Have you tried using a different mouse? Just checking, because these symptoms remind me of issues I had when the buttons of my mouse weared out...

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by Bromstarzan »

Is FO the only game/program that has that issue?
Yes
Have you tried using a different mouse?
No, but I can test another mouse later tonight.

You don't think its related to running FO in window mode - or using multimonitors? I think it sounds far-fetched too, but... I'll test the fullscreen mode also.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Bromstarzan »

Different mouse, still the pop-up disappears forcing me to right-click multiple times.
Running in fullscreen mode, still the pop-up disappears forcing me to right-click multiple times.

I don't have a non-default setting in windows mouse control panel, so I can't really understand why this is happening.
I'll try to close some background processes that might cause windows IRQ.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Nope, can't remember ever having heard of such an issue.
It sounds a bit similar to issues someone reported while using a touchscreen...
Bromstarzan wrote:Different mouse, still the pop-up disappears forcing me to right-click multiple times.
In the options UI tab, try adjusting some of the mouse repeat interval and delay settings?

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#8 Post by Bromstarzan »

I did change the mouse delay settings but couldn't see any difference. The main thing is that I know it shouldn't be an issue - noone else have that problem. So it is at my end somehow, will figure it out.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

Bromstarzan wrote:I did change the mouse delay settings but couldn't see any difference. The main thing is that I know it shouldn't be an issue - noone else have that problem. So it is at my end somehow, will figure it out.
No one else has reported it, there are sometimes weird edge case issues with specific graphics cards and similar that we want to solve, but they require digging in and testing in a way that's annoying, I had an issue that only appeared on my kids' laptop (a then top of the range Acer Aspire) but wasn't a problem on my bottom of the range aspire with almost the same model number.

So while it might be your end (graphics drivers vs SDL are most likely, it's normally graphics drivers), it's still a problem as others with similar systems will have the same, but might not report it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#10 Post by Bromstarzan »

Hmm, yes. You see my specs in signature + my nvidia drivers are up to date. In the casse of FO it might be better to revert back to version around 340:ish? I'll let you know if I track down the problem.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Hm, one thing we could do to at least mitigate this issue (if we can't solve it) is to provide some alternative way for the user to issue "right mouse button clicks" - maybe CTRL + LMB click? Geoff? How hard would it be to add something like that...?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:...alternative way for the user to issue "right mouse button clicks" - maybe CTRL + LMB click?
Probably not CTRL as it's used with double-clicks in some places to modify the result, like enqueuing at the top. ALT might be OK.
How hard would it be to add something like that...?
Probably not too difficult. There is already a mechanism is HandleGGEvent to check a flag, and if it is set, to swap left and right click events before they are passed to the UI code. This code can also check for modkeys, and send different events accordingly, if another flag were to be set in the same way.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#13 Post by Bromstarzan »

Don't bother with this for the moment. It might solve itself with some updates from nvidia or win7.
I still play without major hassle, but if it gets worse, I'll raise the issue again later.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#14 Post by Bromstarzan »

With v0.4.6 I no longer have this issue. Great! :mrgreen: