Planetary Starlane Drive

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
EricF
Space Dragon

Planetary Starlane Drive

#1 Post by EricF »

Turn 212
Just built a Planetary Starlane Drive at Urania gamma I
Set focus to move planet to Aberdeen
I have a ship at Aberdeen with a Mobile Planetary Beacon.
212.JPG
212.JPG (113.34 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Turn 213
OK, planet has moved to Aberdeen, but as you can see the population didn't reduce in half and the PSD is still there.
The Pedia entry for the PSD says that the population is reduced in half and the PSD is immediately destroyed.
213.JPG
213.JPG (123.35 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Turn 214
It's the next turn and the PSD is still there.
Maybe the population wasn't reduced in half because it is Exobots?
214.JPG
214.JPG (111.97 KiB) Viewed 723 times
This doesn't look right

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Planetary Starlane Drive

#2 Post by MatGB »

Ok, one aspect is unclear, when I added in the beacon part I separated the mention of the beacon building from the "this building" bit: it's the beacon building that is meant to blow up not the drive, you're meant to be able to move the planet multiple times if you want to. Oops :oops:

No idea about the no population death thing, will need to test that. Starlane drive stuff needs rewording in general as it's not clear, and the tech description is just weird.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

Ah OK, I just reread the Pedia entry. The bit about the Beacon is in a separate paragraph and it is pretty clear it is referring to the Beacon and not the PSD building. To move to a new system the beacon is destroyed so that there are not multiple beacons to confuse the PSD. My bad.
To make it even clearer, you could remove the mention of the Beacon being destroyed from the PSD Pedia entry entirely and move that to the Pedia entry for the Planetary Beacon. "Once a PSD uses a Beacon as a target the building will be destroyed. To move a planet again with a PSD a new beacon must be build in the new target system".

It does say however, "This is a hazardous journey even if the planet survives however, and only half the population of a planet will live even with support from the interstellar lighthouse."
In my example you can see my population was unaffected. Bug?

And this confused me a little, "This building can be built at an Outpost, but cannot be used unless the planet is colonised."
I take it this means you can build a PSD at an outpost, but you can't actually move the planet unless you have built a colony there? That seems a little odd. Why not just an outpost? Would seem safer that way. :)

One more thing. I know getting carried away and duplicating Pedia entries is not good, but it might be worth making a quick mention of Alt-c to turn on and off the distance rings in the PSD pedia entry when it mentions how close the Lighthouse needs to be. I think the best way of doing this is to have a Pedia entry for "uu". Then whenever "uu" is used you could have a link to the Pedia entry for it where that mentions Alt-c. Since "uu" is used many times throughout the Pedia. If a Pedia entry for "uu" already exists then just the links need to be created. Seems that "uu" should be under *Game Concepts*, but I don't see anything there. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

EricF
Space Dragon

#4 Post by EricF »

I think I will try to create these Pedia entries myself and add the appropriate links.
Is there a tutorial for doing this sort of thing?
I've looked at the Wiki page, but didn't see anything.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#5 Post by dbenage-cx »

Only a short blurp on the Effects Tutorial page.

Encyclopedia article definitions are mostly references to stringtable entries (default/stringtables/en.txt).
Quick rough start: Copy an existing article, change the keys to new values, then add those entries in the stringtable.