Map constellations to replay

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Map constellations to replay

#16 Post by defaultuser »

I didn't think to ask what version you're playing. If the early map doesn't look the one below, then there's not much point in me continuing the experiment.
fom2.png
fom2.png (853.61 KiB) Viewed 952 times

user0169
Space Floater

#17 Post by user0169 »

defaultuser wrote:I had recalled discussing the randomness in the past. I dredged up the thread:

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... =28&t=9960
This would be anoter trial like mine. I would prefer to have the settings of the game. One thing is that i already tried to use versions on another of my own pc's and it only worked from pc1 to pc2 but not the other way round in spite of been 2 win7 pc's at that time. Also i dont like to add files from a forum to my pc.

Another thing of this thread now is this: To discuss about if a topic could work just destroys the topic. The intention of the thread wasnt to find out about if it could work to exchange settings. BUT to to it and see where it leads. its a pity.

user0169
Space Floater

#18 Post by user0169 »

I didn't think to ask what version you're playing. If the early map doesn't look the one below, then there's not much point in me continuing the experiment.
I compared it as far as its possible. The map is the same. Even the colors of the opponent AI are the same. Its possible to exchange settings.

We could check out this:

The opponent at 2 o clock position (yellow) is Human
The opponent at 9 o clock position (orange) is Human
The opponent at 6 o clock position (blue) is Gysache
The opponent at 11 o clock position (pink) is Exaw
The Osiris-e is a defended Derthrean.

(just also checkt out the panet names. they are the same)

But at Osiris-a, Osiris-b, and Osiris-t there were some monster-guards?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#19 Post by defaultuser »

user0169 wrote:This would be anoter trial like mine. I would prefer to have the settings of the game. One thing is that i already tried to use versions on another of my own pc's and it only worked from pc1 to pc2 but not the other way round in spite of been 2 win7 pc's at that time. Also i dont like to add files from a forum to my pc.

Another thing of this thread now is this: To discuss about if a topic could work just destroys the topic. The intention of the thread wasnt to find out about if it could work to exchange settings. BUT to to it and see where it leads. its a pity.
I don't really understand what you're saying.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#20 Post by defaultuser »

user0169 wrote:We could check out this:

The opponent at 2 o clock position (yellow) is Human
The opponent at 9 o clock position (orange) is Human
The opponent at 6 o clock position (blue) is Gysache
The opponent at 11 o clock position (pink) is Exaw
The Osiris-e is a defended Derthrean.
That seems to match.
At that point, I had not destroyed any monsters other than krill.

user0169
Space Floater

#21 Post by user0169 »

At that point, I had not destroyed any monsters other than krill.
Ok, at Osiris-a and Osiris-z (not t) there were definately monsterguards. Osiris-b i remembered wrong. I also tried to restart it now and this time at the Osiris-z is no guard.

There are two random elements as far as i see now. One is the monster placement and the other of course the development success of the AI which will be a bit different. Everything else is equal. This altogether would be no reason for me not to replay a settings because the differences are quite small. I would count the maps as compareable.

The map shows another strart:
Attachments
Current MapTurm2.png
Current MapTurm2.png (362.06 KiB) Viewed 917 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#22 Post by defaultuser »

user0169 wrote:Ok, at Osiris-a and Osiris-z (not t) there were definately monsterguards. Osiris-b i remembered wrong. I also tried to restart it now and this time at the Osiris-z is no guard.
Based on what Mat said upthread, that's to be expected. Monster placement still has randomness.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#23 Post by defaultuser »

What did you find to be most interesting or challenging about this setup?

user0169
Space Floater

#24 Post by user0169 »

defaultuser wrote:What did you find to be most interesting or challenging about this setup?
The most interesting would be to see what others like as ineteresting. The second would be to see what others would say about this setup. Up to now no one does. Did you play it? At what move did you stop it as won? Do you have an alternative proposal show it that others may test it.

I liked it becasue it was a bit more difficult than other setups. The number of planets and party seems balanced to me.

why ..
high starlanes: low number of starlanes makes defending easy.
low planets: low planets at the start makes the development more difficult.
more AI-opponents: higher number of AI-opponent gives more probability that there will rise really strong AI.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#25 Post by defaultuser »

I think I stopped at around 190 or so. I had conquered size of the AIs. With the nearby neighbors, it was relatively easy to let a couple establish colonies and then take them away to incorporate into the empire. With the high research from Chato, then troops from Human (initially) and later Eaxaw pilots, the end was in sight.

I find those high lane setups to be "busy". Overall not terribly difficult, but it sounds like I had a somewhat more favorable monster draw.

user0169
Space Floater

#26 Post by user0169 »

Yes, this was obviously just too easy, even more as the monster guards were not at the scheduled places. Here is another one meant for the test-version 0.4.6+. For this the player has to change a part of the 'universe_tables'-file like this

Code: Select all

BASE_STAR_TYPE_DIST = {
    fo.starType.blue: -5,
    fo.starType.white: 0,
    fo.starType.yellow: 0,
    fo.starType.orange: 0,
    fo.starType.red: -5,
    fo.starType.neutron: -5,
    fo.starType.blackHole: -5,
    fo.starType.noStar: 35,
}

# orig      15, 20,25,20, 15,  0, -5,10
# new med   -5,  0, 0, 0, -5, -5,  0,35
# large     -10,-5,-5,-5,-10,-10,-10,50
This does a larger map with less planets per system for this (see pic) setting. Hope so much that the monster guards will be on the scheduled places :mrgreen:

Still i look for some different settings i could replay to test it .....
Attachments
ModifiedMedium2.png
ModifiedMedium2.png (237.91 KiB) Viewed 874 times