Need some help troubleshooting my problem

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

ghealy
Space Kraken

Need some help troubleshooting my problem

#1 Post by ghealy »

Backs story. Wanted a smaller PC than my desktp that I could travel with (on bus/plane, etc.) Found a very good deal on a Lenovo Yoga 2 1.6 in screen, It runs Windows 10 Home edition. Has 4 GB ram. It uses an Intel N3540 (2.16 Ghz) Quadcore CPU. The graphics are with an integrated Intel HD graphics card.

I was able to install version FreeOrion_2016-12-20.8feef63_Test_Win32_Setup without issue. The program ran with out issue, except for the user who is not yet comfortable switching from a mouse to the touchpad :( ) I was surprised to see the game actually played better** on this laptop than on my i7 CPU desktop. (** better in quicker response between turns, changing planet focus from production to research, etc.)

I was about at turn 90 when the program crashed. Tried restarting it, and was told that Windows has shut down the program as it was not working. Did the usual - turn off the laptop and restart. But would receive the same message about the program having stopped working. Did a complete uninstall, rebooted the laptop, and a fresh install. Double click the desktop icon, and the DOS box woudl open and immediately after I'd get the "this program has stopped working" error message.

Any Windows gurus out there who might suggest how to go about trouble shooting this?? Could there be a left-over registry entry?

I am lost and hoping someone might have some suggestions.

All help is appreciated

- Gene

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Need some help troubleshooting my problem

#2 Post by MatGB »

First suggestion is to ensure that your config file has been deleted, it's in a hidden folder in your User directory but it's been long enough since I used Windows regularly I forget where.

Second suggestion is to get a cheap wireless mouse that lets you swap batteries, I still can't stand touchpads ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#3 Post by ghealy »

thanks MatGB for the suggestion re: mouse. Probably will once the stores clear from their Boxing day sales :)

Was unable to locate any config file. But did locate the dump files. Tried to look at them using notepad, but they are mostly gibberish. Ill attempt to post the first two dump files and maybe someone can make some sense out of them

I went and lost them. Arrrghhh! I've attached the log file for now. Will relocate the dump files and attach to a reply.
Attachments
freeorion.log
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

ghealy
Space Kraken

#4 Post by ghealy »

Let's try this again. Nope file size too big. Will try to get them on my dropbox and post a link. Until then, Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated.

Okay, here the link to the folder containing 5 dmp files. Hopefully they tell someone something. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/toczhcdw36au ... gqsia?dl=0

Again thanks.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#5 Post by dbenage-cx »

Can't view the .dmp files, but log file states: GL Version String: 1.1.0

Since it did initially start, maybe a faulty display driver?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#6 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:Second suggestion is to get a cheap wireless mouse that lets you swap batteries, I still can't stand touchpads ;-)
I keep the mushpad on my laptop disabled and use a wired mouse. (Got tired of replacing batteries in cordless mice awhile back).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

dbenage-cx wrote:Can't view the .dmp files, but log file states: GL Version String: 1.1.0

Since it did initially start, maybe a faulty display driver?
The bug here is, I think, that it started the first time. adrian_broher added some code to specifically prevent it from starting without GL 2.0 or greater, so I'm not sure why it ever ran...

It should also be generating a message box saying it can't set up an appropriate OpenGL context as well.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#8 Post by ghealy »

Thanks, guys. Looks like unless Lenovo updates the on-board graphics to allow Open GL 2.0, I just out of luck running FO on this small laptop. It was running super fine until it crashed around turn 90.

Question: dbenage-cx mentioned that he could not view the dmp files. Did anyone else try to download one of the dumps to look at it? Just trying to figure out if I need to change the permissions on the downloads.

Am curious. Does the final release 4.5 version also need Open GL 2.0 to run properly?

Appreciate the help.

- Gene

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#9 Post by dbenage-cx »

The issue with not viewing them is on my end, don't think it is possible to view them outside of windows ;)

My thought with the graphics driver is that your system did initially report a version 2.0+, until something broke, but that is just a wild guess.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#10 Post by ghealy »

Am curious if anyone has looked at the dump files and whether they indicate what the issue was?

I double checked my on-board video chip using OpenGL Extension Viewer (glview452) and was told the chip supports OpenGL version 4. So not quite sure where that reference to OpenGL1 came from??

Again appreciate any help

- Gene

adrian_broher
Programmer

#11 Post by adrian_broher »

I doubt it is graphic driver or OpenGL related.

Given the log I would assume that the game tries to load the font files but isn't able to (maybe because the config file is corruped). As Mat already suggested: delete the configuration file. It's located in the same directory as the log file you posted. %APPDATA%\FreeOrion should bring you there.
ghealy wrote:Could there be a left-over registry entry?
Certainly not. The game or any part of it itself doesn't use the registry. The installer does use it to store the standard un-/install data (install location, 'beautiful name', version, what program to call to uninstall the application, …).
ghealy wrote:Am curious. Does the final release 4.5 version also need Open GL 2.0 to run properly?
Yes.
ghealy wrote:I double checked my on-board video chip using OpenGL Extension Viewer (glview452) and was told the chip supports OpenGL version 4. So not quite sure where that reference to OpenGL1 came from??
Windows by itself provides a software OpenGL 1.1 implementation by default. Graphic card drivers can provide on top of that other OpenGL implementations, which supports higher versions of OpenGL which can be software implemented and/or hardware accelerated. What I found out so far is that this Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop uses an Intel HD 4000 graphics card and those support OpenGL 4 (with the right drivers installed obviously).

Following this intel support article should help you identify if the dirvers is installed properly: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05848.html

It none of those methods in the article work for you don't have installed any driver asides from the generic Windows one :o)
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

ghealy
Space Kraken

#12 Post by ghealy »

@adrian_broher; Thanks, will checkout your link. I did do an update driver from the device manager and it now states I have the 'latest drivers.

Will give it another go and hope for the best. :D

Thanks again for the help.

- Gene