Weapon upgrade bug in v0.4.6 for the Mac

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ouly
Space Krill

Weapon upgrade bug in v0.4.6 for the Mac

#1 Post by Ouly »

I recently DL'ed v0.4.6 on my Mac after trying v0.4.3 a while back. I'm still quite new to the game but noticed something right away that no longer works as indicated that used to work in my previous games on 4.3. No weapon upgrades that I research are applied to the ship design screen. Regardless what weapon I research or what level I research for that weapon, only the base level is available when designing or updating an existing design. This ruins the game when playing on a higher difficulty setting as the computer AI is not hampered by this problem. In the release notes for 4.6, the second entry mentions that the weapon upgrades had been reworked so I suspect a small blunder was made in this reworking that may not have been made in the windows version, as I can't find any other post relating to this bug.

As a first time poster here, I would like to comment more on this game, but I can't give an informed opinion at the moment until I've played more and at higher difficulties, so I will cut this short. I will say this though, a BIG thumbs up to all involved in this project! I was a MOO fan back in the day as I'm sure many of you were as well and finding FO online put a huge smile on my face! :D

ps... the version I have installed came from the link on the announcements page that was posted Sept. 22/16

labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: Weapon upgrade bug in v0.4.6 for the Mac

#2 Post by labgnome »

The improvement techs now improve the weapons themselves, instead of unlocking newer versions.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Ouly
Space Krill

#3 Post by Ouly »

I see... ty. I feel like an idiot. Thought I had checked on that idea but figured I had to build a new ship for the upgrades to take effect and when the new ships had the same firepower as the older ones, I assumed nothing changed, not realizing all ships with that weapon got upgraded... new and old. DOH :?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

Ouly wrote:I see... ty. I feel like an idiot. Thought I had checked on that idea but figured I had to build a new ship for the upgrades to take effect and when the new ships had the same firepower as the older ones, I assumed nothing changed, not realizing all ships with that weapon got upgraded... new and old. DOH :?
Well, all ships within supply get automatically upgraded.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

And it was one of the things I had meant to do before release and completely forgot about, I wrote the current explanations for how they work and I've never been happy with it. So, y'know, if anyone can come up with a better way of describing both weapon refinement techs and the current system of species traits that ties in directly I'd be very grateful.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.