Window resizing.

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Gargamel
Space Floater

Window resizing.

#1 Post by Gargamel »

FO is kept running, open, and on the top of the desktop (focused window). I close the lid of my laptop (win10), and when I reopen it, log back on, all the production, sitrep, building, and any other window i have open resizes and repositions, not to their default either, but offset from it. As in the production queue is overlaying the production points window by about 50%.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Window resizing.

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Screenshots?

Gargamel
Space Floater

#3 Post by Gargamel »

Playing FO, have my windows arranged where I want:
FO1.jpg
FO1.jpg (154.97 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

Closed the lid, waited for everything to hibernate. Opened the lid, logged on, and the windows have shifted:
fo2.jpg
fo2.jpg (151.48 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Have you disabled window repositioning in the UI options?
Attachments
option to toggle whether to reposition windows automatically
option to toggle whether to reposition windows automatically
window_repos_options.png (119.44 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

Gargamel
Space Floater

#5 Post by Gargamel »

No, but I shouldn't have to in this case. From my point of view, the window is not changing size. I run it in windowed, maximized mode. But if I do shrink the window some, I'd like them to reposition themselves to the new ratio.

I have disabled that option now, I'll report back as to it's efficacy.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

The problem could be that the FO app gets a "app window size changed" notification from the OS when it goes to/wakes up from hibernation. Or the app window actually gets resized and then restored back to the original size during the process. I have a similar issue on OSX, when I play in fullscreen mode: I arrange my windows, play, save, quit and later restart the app to continue my game. Unfortunately, the app is opened in windowed mode before immediately restoring fullscreen on restart. Which is enough to reset all window positions, so that I have to reposition all windows again.

The problem is, the app can't tell if a windows resize gets triggered by the user or by some process like going to hibernation and waking up. Maybe the code handling this could be extended to take such things into account, but I don't know how complicated that might be, or if it can be done at all.