Maintenance branches and minor releases?

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

L29Ah
Space Squid

Maintenance branches and minor releases?

#1 Post by L29Ah »

I'm fed up with all the boost-related breakages i encounter when trying to bisect a bug. I propose the release maintenance branches that you can rebase on some commit in the middle of the development one to get all the boost and other external environment-related fixes. Also this would fix the situation when we don't have a release that works on a modern environment and people come on the forum and complain about it; instead it would make sense to make minor releases from the maintenance branch.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Maintenance branches and minor releases?

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

For reference: A somewhat related discussion already happend some time ago:

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... ase#p86533

But in general I agree. It would be nice to have bugfix releases.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

As I said in the thread Marcel linked to, it's not that I don't want to do bugfix releases. Of course that would be a nice thing to have. It's the added workload that's the problem here, and as I also mentioned in that thread, I'd definitely need the support from the rest of the team to pull that off.

If our core devs are willing, we can give it a try for 0.4.7.

Comments, opinions?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Of course my first thought is that alpha software doesn't have maintenance versions. But FO is an unusual case of alpha software. If we're talking about limited bugfixes to deal with major things like boost updates that break the most recent release, then that seems like a fairly modest scope that we could reasonably contemplate.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:Of course my first thought is that alpha software doesn't have maintenance versions. But FO is an unusual case of alpha software. If we're talking about limited bugfixes to deal with major things like boost updates that break the most recent release, then that seems like a fairly modest scope that we could reasonably contemplate.
Yeah, what we currently have is a fully playable game that's enjoyable and feature rich that's also nowhere near completion. Which means we're going to have players/groups of players that would prefer to stick to the formal 'stable release' but get updates if we fix problems.

I have zero clue what this entails but it does make sense to try it to see if it's workable: if someone manages to find that edge-case Windows mouse-pointer disappearing issue that only happens on certain hardware configurations, for example, we ought to push that out to the most recent Release.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#6 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Has anyone counted the number of commits between 0.4.6 and 0.4.7 that this would have applied to, in order to gauge the amount and feasibility of the additional work?

By feasibility, I mean, if the commits come after the transition to C++11, or some other significant refactoring, then adding them to the release branch is not as simple as a cherry pick.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

LGM-Doyle wrote:Has anyone counted the number of commits between 0.4.6 and 0.4.7 that this would have applied to, in order to gauge the amount and feasibility of the additional work?
By feasibility, I mean, if the commits come after the transition to C++11, or some other significant refactoring, then adding them to the release branch is not as simple as a cherry pick.
I don't know that we agreed on a scope of issues to even try counting. The very limited scope that I was envisioning was something that I would expect to be in the small handful range. I don't think we should have any blanket commitment for bugfixes, and could just consider them as they come up, with respect to severity of bug and if the fix can be cherry picked or easily adapted.

And at this point I don't think there is any point talking about a bug-fix release for 0.4.6; either 0.4.7 can fill that need or they can do without. (Though perhaps you simply mention that to illustrate how such bug fixes might be a major headache?)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I don't think we should have any blanket commitment for bugfixes, and could just consider them as they come up, with respect to severity of bug and if the fix can be cherry picked or easily adapted.
Pretty much this. The idea is to provide bugfix releases for bugs that are both severe enough to warrant the extra effort involved, and aren't too hard to cherry pick. So, e.g. a fix that can't be cherry picked without also cherry picking a huge refactoring which took place after the release and before the fix went in will not meet that condition.

Anything beyond that will probably be too difficult to handle with the resources at our disposal, IMO. It would divert too much time and efforts from regular dev work.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#9 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Dilvish wrote:(Though perhaps you simply mention that to illustrate how such bug fixes might be a major headache?)
Yes, I meant it to be a concrete example of how many/few commits would qualify for cherry-picking.

I agree with the prevailing sentiment, that each case should be considered in turn for severity, range of player base affected and easy of cherry picking.